Interesting Accessory Steel Spoke Wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Interesting Accessory Steel Spoke Wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:47 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-ford-steel-wheels-/272395627718?hash=item3f6c0b6 cc6:g:v-IAAOSwmLlX7aX3&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Another set has appeared, but with some rust it seems

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Tubular-Steel-Wheels-Speedster-Depot-Hack-R ace-Car-Ruckstell-/122160025129?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AModel+T&hash=item1c71 4e0e29:g:tXcAAOSwNRdX7k3g&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Are these really authentic from the era, or are they someone's latter-day idea of "rebuilding" an artillery wheel ?

Reason I ask, building a wheel ain't all that simple. I've been around some welded-up steel "inventions" applied to horse-drawn vehicles, and they invariably fail. There's a lot of science to the wheel-wright's art that was brought to a high level of development in those early, "primitive" wood-spoke motor-wheels.

There are good reasons why the all-metal wheels of the period were either wires or discs - the dynamics of a large diameter wheel in motion under load poses a lot of problems for the idea of constructing an all-metal wheel of multiple parts assembled into a "whole". Welded joints invariably prove too rigid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Are those like the steel wheels Howard Genrich had on Ol' #7?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

They look like Atlas wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

My question answered, thanks Derek !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

I believe that Howard's are a totally different wheel where the spokes individually clamp onto the rim. This is from my memory, so I may be mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

Here is a picture from the SCMTFC endurance run back in April in Tucson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

There were also steel spoke wheels that had, IIRC, six solid spokes. Trouble was, I would find one, hoping to run across another three available. A couple years would go by, no success. Sell it or trade it away. Then blunder across another. Repeat. Even though I have done my share of selling and buying on eBay, it still boggles my mind that things that were once searched for a lifetime now seeing commonplace. And, a personal not. From early morn till a few minutes ago I have been engaged in trying to get someone needed healthcare. A helluva day. It is going to take a nights worth of Fibber & Molly, Gunsmoke, CBS Radio Mystery theatre etc. to reprogram my brain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

Make that eight spokes. Those wheels on the red speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 12:02 am:

Jim, i grew up listening to CBS radio mystery theater. You can still find all the episodes available on the net. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 12:26 am:

Yes, John, I did too. Few people realize there was such a high quality radio broadcast that late. I get them on YouTube. In the 70's listened on one of my antique radios. I remember also listening to them in the car on a date or after a wrestling meet. One of these days, I'm going to cut loose with the money to be able to stream The Adventures of Harry Nile. Absolutely excellent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Thanks, Dan....I didn't have a picture of #7 to refer to. If my (admittedly weak!) memory serves me, Howard's were used on cement mixers back in the day. Very heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 11:38 am:

I believe the 8-spoke version are a cast iron center. I forget the brand name though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 11:45 am:

I have a pair of Kelsey steel wheels with tapered stamped steel spokes that look identical to wood spokes, but with a seam on the back side.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration