Figured out my carb issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Figured out my carb issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Well, checked everything before I finally got around to pulling out my carb. And this is what I found:

Cleaned things up and looking normal.

Culprit... The gas station most likely... lesson? drain the bowl once in a while. I also removed the after market screen filter. Lastly I adjusted the throttle linkage and now she is ticking over quite nicely and running beautifully... actually I feel that it is running better/stronger than before! We are now ready for the weekend... plus I better fuel up, looks like we might have a hurricane swing by next week!

Batten down the hatches!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

We have to remember the ethanol in our fuel draws moisture, and I suspect a certain amount of it ends up in the carb bowl, resulting in what Robert found. Just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

In my opinion, ethanol is getting a bum rap. The ethanol will combine with water so it doesn't separate out from condensation in the tank and settle at low points. Do you guys in northern climates remember putting dry gas in you tanks in the winter? Guess what, that was mostly ethanol to combine with the water and run it through the engine instead of getting a water puddle in you line that would freeze. The only real problem with ethanol gas is it contains less energy by volume than pure gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

John, I am not an engineer, scientist or one with some extra ordinary experience, BUT I know what I have seen and it is only after we were forced to use ethanol laced gas. Every one of my small engines, (leaf blower, trimmer, generator and on and on) has developed water bubbles on the gas. I have taken the tanks off and emptied the gas on cement pavement and watched the water bubbles float. I have taken several carbs apart and found rust and water bubbles. This is new since we started using ethanol gas. I now use only none ethanol in the small engines and all of my antique cars. I use the ethanol gas in the three everyday vehicles as the gas doesn't last long enough to collect water. And yes, I remember using "dry gas" in the winter. The big difference is we used it up before it had time to sit in the tank or carb. Our small engines and antique cars sit sometimes for several weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

People had the same problem BEFORE there was ethanol in the gas, people act like it's something new. It's could be bad gas or condensation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Before ethenol if you left gas in a small engine for a year or two you had a bad smelling separated mess to clean out of tank and carb, but the gas now left in over a winter corrodes anything aluminum to a white pitted mess.
Just personal experience .
Since using 100% gasoline in small engines and antique vehicles I haven't had that problem.
To bad we have to pay more but it's cheaper than new carbs every year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Dry gas was NOT ethanol..it is alcohol based..be it methanol or isopropyl alcohol primarily. Talk to anyone in the marine industry about ethanol and you'll get an earful. Ethanol based fuels aren't quite as harmful in modern vehicles due to the fact they are a closed system for the most part with today's fuel injection, thereby negating most of the water absorption properties of ethanol based fuels. Our T's are not closed by any stretch. That innocent little vent hole will let more water vapor into the tank than we think.
Drygas for that matter, was also very hard on the old time carburetors too. It dried out the seals causing them to leak.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration