Things to do with a Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Things to do with a Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

What are some of your favorite things to do with your T?

A few examples I can think of are:

1. Go to local car shows.
2. Use it to run errands/get hamburgers/get ice cream - that sort of stuff.
3. National tours
4. Other tours such as Texas T party, Can-Am etc.
5. Montana 500
6. Parades
7. Give rides to residents at assisted living homes.
8. Local tours and club activities.
9. Sunday drives in the country.
10. Speedster runs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

Pretty much all of them except 1 (I find them boring), 2 (my parking situation is inconvenient for unplanned spur of the moment rides), and 6 (my cars and I are not fond of idle, start, stop, repeat).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Summer evening drives, not only on Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Educational tool.
Living history exhibit.
Wedding car.
Prom car.
Photography exhibit.
Conversation piece.
Place to invest all your extra cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

Tom, Don't forget for us Brass guys, Polishing the brass is a labor of love and very rewarding.

Also Having your car in a movie or commercial shoot.

I most enjoy where ever we park our cars weather it's a car show or a gas station stop talking to people and educating them about the Model T Ford and it's history. Seems like I never tire of people asking what kind of gas do we use.

The National tours are also Very high on my list.
Some Day maybe a long distance trip like several guys here have done.

One of my most fun times has to be running in the Montana 500 with my Grandson!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Camping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

I use my Tís for therapy & encouragement.

Whenever I start thinking I canít make it or I canít do something I look at my T, go for a drive, or even work on it and it reminds me about Henry Ford. In 1899 he started the Detroit Automobile Company but it went bankrupt in 1901. He reorganized / started again this time as the Henry Ford Company. But he had troubles with the investors and he left that company Ė taking his name, tools, and a couple of race cars with him. The company he left became Cadillac. And of course in 1903 he started the Ford Motor Company. That one turned out very well for him.

Anytime I feel like throwing in the towel -- I think about Ford. He could have easily quit after the first or second failure. And then we wouldnít have the Ford Model T that changed the world. And I donít want to give up on my dreams either. And while I doubt Iíll revolutionize the worldís transportation methods, I do think I can have a positive impact on the folks I know and who know me. And that helps me to keep pressing on. [ Philippians 3:14 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians+3%3A14 ]

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

When i was in the excavating business i used often take a T to look at jobs.At the same time i would see and check the route i would use.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Whenever I go out I am the local car show. But I'd move speedster runs to number one.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Putz with it in the garage...

putz'n

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Take it apart and scatter the parts all over the living room. Take one part at a time and rebuild it in your kitchen. No wonder I'm divorced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Speaking from experience with other cars, they take up a lot more room when they're in pieces! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

I have done everything on Tom's list except the Montana 500.

The national tours are my favorite, but budget and vacation time limits how often I can do those.

"Let's drive the Model T" might be a spur of the moment decision for any trip under 150 miles round-trip if the weather looks good... I do that a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

1. The most important - local runs to get ice cream etc. with the Granddaughters
2. Time spent playing in the garage
3. Taking friends for a ride
4. Local car shows
5. Parades
6. Talking about the T with others

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Steve Jelf !! That's a really fine picture of your T. I can't help wishing you'd lit the cowl lamps too . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

#1 Drive the heck out of it every opportunity you get.
#2 Lube, inspect, and tinker for endless hours to make sure it runs and drives the best that you can possibly make a 90+ year old piece of history perform.
#3 Try to hide the goofy grin you get every time you get behind the wheel of your T.
#4 Rinse, lather, repeat. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

My grandfather used the TT I now have on his ranch for many years. His routine was quite different:

1. Early spring: check oil and tire air pressure. Use a little emory on the spark plugs and coil points.
2. Late spring - summer: haul fruit and nuts. Add gas and water as needed.
3. Early fall: park it in the barn until spring.

I swear, I do not believe he ever changed the oil, he just added when it was low. I never saw anything get a little grease nor did the oilers ever see a drop of oil. He just ran it. For years.

By the time I got it ( long after his passing) all the spring bushings and other parts that require a little lubrication every decade or so were worn through. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Hopefully we'll have enough decent weather yet to take a friend or two along for the 17-18 mile ride to Stevens Point for ice cream again........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

1. Haul lumber
2. Haul gravel
3. Haul firewood
4. Put smiles on 99% of the faces, wherever I go
5. Pull all sorts of crazies out of the woodwork who share their wonderful stories
6. Just fuss around it in the shop, enjoying the ambiance

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Pulling trees down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

This has bee fun, yes the little black FORD just keeps going on and on. when I'm down in the dumps [four feet of granulated rain] I like to dig my way to my shop with a hot???, and pull up my chair and set there and think of what she did the first half of her life and the fun she is giving to me, [and worry a little] of her next life. oh well I've heard nothing is forever. don't tell that to a model T T-LOVER! GREG>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Something I've yet to to but fully intend to do when I get my own T is to take a girl for coffee and ice cream on a warm summer evening!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

My idea of a good Model T day is riding the hills and backroads of middle Tennessee and finding scenes that I can't find while driving my F-250 on more civilized roads.

Like 2 hippie cars standing up on their end

Like a tree decorated with a bikini, flip flops, and stuffed animals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Thanks for the responses. I've never pulled a tree down with my T - yet. I wonder what, of all the things we've listed here, would appeal to a person that was say, in their twenties or thirties - other than pulling down trees, of course. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

Why.... stopping by the local A&W for lunch,... and a root beer.... of course!

A & W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Dennis, what did you do when they asked you to raise your window so that they could hook on the tray? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

Attend the Albuquerque balloon fiesta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Mark.... I was bummed... I thought the tray lip could fit on the door. We hooked it on the ad ide of the pickup bed, and sat ' in the way back'. We go there enough... I might naked a little bracket for it, down the road... others buy one of their trays and mod it..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Better yet, find one of these period trays! I believe that Jay Leno found one of these, in the original box, under the back seat of one of his antique cars.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/189613.html?1297341357

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

Wow.... that'd be perfect! My spider senses detect a search quest in my near future!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Haul firewood. Yeah.

haul firewood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Krug on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 07:51 am:

Sell sweet corn with my grandkids.
21 huckster with sweetcorn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 08:05 am:

Drive it to the Gas station and answer questions.
Let the 12 year old try to pull the crank (with parents permission and the key in your pocket of course).
Give a Wounded Warrior or a youth challenged Person a ride whenever possible.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 08:07 am:

Make lunch, using the Model T Cooker and Bake...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:30 am:

From getting wood pellets for heating on a sunny day in March:

def

to going to the recycling drop off center with the primitive pickup one of the last days without salt or snow in december:

ooo

Plus all kinds of other use in between :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

Making Ice Cream

Camping

Off Roading

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Wow.... love these pics....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Doty New Salisbury, IN on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Fording creeks
fording

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Finding rusty, dilapidated old iron bridges that Kim Doty finds on www.bridgehunter.com for me to locate, then cross. He lives in Indiana and finds bridges on the internet in Alabama and Tennessee, then I cross them. This particular one is crossing Upper Hurricane Creek, Madison County, AL. I love it, but some of my T buddies are scared of them. They don't know what they are missing!

Upper Hurricane Bridge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Measure how much she really loves you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

Looks like you can count how much on one hand!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Well, she is using all of her fingers. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

It's always fun to take Frank to the Whistle Stop Cafe a few miles down the road. Sure starts a lot of conversations with folks we've never met and he is usually the only T in the parking lot. Same thing with Otis. We went to town for lunch today and when I went to the parking lot there was a gang of folks wondering what Otis was doing in town. Then when I begin the cranking process they are blown away. Old cars, especially the Model T, make people smile and that's fun.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration