Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New member
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Of two piece crank club😩

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Ouch! Hopefully it didn't cause any secondary damage. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

That will slow you down for awhile. I looks like somebody has used a grinder on the crankshaft. Do you know what's the story on that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Typical "for balancing" grinding on the crank. (And not the best job I've seen of it.)
It may, or may not (likely did not) have anything to do with the break.
I would be curious to see good photos of the break when you get it out to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

The more I look at that picture, the more I think that the grinding could have been the cause of the break.
A good look at the inside of the break will help identify that. There will be a "radiating pattern" to the initial crack that will pinpoint the exact spot that the crack began. If there is even the tiniest nick in the outer edge from the grinding at that spot, the grinding likely did lead to the break.
It is difficult to tell in that photo, because the crank likely beat itself up some after it let loose, But I can see two spots in the picture that could have been the beginning point. Only a close examination after it is out will tell for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

The break is at the point where much of the grinding stopped. It is possible that when they did the grinding the surface of the crank got to hot and when it cooled off a small crack started. Then that crack got bigger over time. As Wayne says you will know more when you get it apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

The fellow that turned crank also balanced it,I showed him the picture and he said it had nothing to do with it breaking,when I get time to take it out will post more pictures.I don't want another one balanced like this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 01:04 am:

I'm no expert on balancing or cracks, but when I have balanced a shaft, I always polish it smooth. I was told that that would reduce "stress risers".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Thanks tom. Will do next time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Is the crank the later 26-27 or the older more common style crank. The later ones are 'supposed' to be a little better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Early

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

What type of 4'th main were you using and what is the condition of it? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

I have a Warford it should be good,it broke between 1 and 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Was the Warford supported or hanging on the back of the trans? Can you post pictures of the journals on the broken shaft? Bud. PS,Yes i'm a member of the same club!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

supported

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration