Running Board Step Plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Running Board Step Plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

When working on the '25 coupe running boards, I'd noticed four holes (appropriately located) which I assumed were for step plates, so then I thought I'd do some catalog investigating. The existing holes (maybe 1/4" each) are about 10 5/16" apart, center to center/front to back. Catalogs show the step plates to only be 9" wide X 7" on the running board. Am I missing something, or just haven't looked to the right vendor? The 'cocoa mats' just don't do it for me. Both sides are reflections of the other. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 04:13 am:

Hard to know. Could have been step plates? Or some other accessory? Years ago, step plates were available in a wider variety of sizes. Larger cars often got larger step plates. But sometimes, the little Ford got the high end accessory. I cannot get to the step plates my Paige had originally, but they were larger than the ones usually bought now for model Ts. It would be really interesting if we could find out what your car had on it and when?
Although many original ads can be found for them, step plates are rarely seen in original era photos of model Ts. I suspect more model Ts have added step plates today than did back when the model Ts were nearly new.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Thanks, Wayne. I've checked Ebay and notice there are some that are wider, even with the toe guards for splash aprons. Still have questions searching for answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Marv, If interested I bought a complete set a few years ago and never put them on, I could make you a good deal on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Will, PM sent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Are the holes centered below the doors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

The holes may have been for step plates. A lot of other things could have been there eg. toolbox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

I just had four holes welded up. They sure messed up my original running boards on my '13, and they only made the running board for two years, or maybe 2 1/2! If you don't have step plates, don't do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 01:30 am:

The existing holes are located above (toward the front fender) the 'Ford' script on the running boards. Same location, both sides, which leads me to believe for step plates. Beginning the 'clean-up' photo is below....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Is there a vendor who offers the wider plates? Not concerned for being a purist, I'm questioning if the Model A version might be the answer? Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Found these by Mac's on eBay. Not sure of the directional lay-out, and not particularly enthralled with 'too new' appearance. Anyone knowledgeable? Making some out of aluminum flat stock, provide for an insert, and then to polish wouldn't be that difficult...

Model T Ford Step Plates - Deluxe - Aluminum Frame - Rubber Insert - Ford Emblem - 8-1/2 X 11-1/2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration