Alternative Fuel T's?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Alternative Fuel T's?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

I ran across a CL ad for a propane conversion kit for a VW. As I have used VW carbs in the past on T's, I knew the flange would be the same. My thought was to build a conversation starter, one not likely to be matched at the local car shows. I opted not to buy it due to a pair of connections that needed to be installing in the exhaust and what I think is a choke that cut the airway in half when open. Not impossible to work with but it looked like more parts than I wanted to figure out or deal with. I did however tell the owner that I would try to help him sell it.

The kit is on my website, I took some pictures and made a slide show so everyone could see it. http://www.tfoye.com His email address is on the page if you're interested, I don't want to be a middle man and I've got no vested interest in any deal made.

So the big question is:

Does anyone on here have an alternative fueled Model T? Propane, Natural Gas, Electric, "wood gas"?

I'd like to see pics or video if you do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Shoe leather, if I run out of gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

There is no reason that a T could not be adapted to run on Propane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

A TT should be a fairly easy electric conversion. Remove the engine/transmission/driveshaft and related paraphernalia like the gas tank,radiator, etc, mount an electric motor in the bed connected to the existing rear, mount a container for the batteries in the bed, and put in a variable speed controller. A TT would hold the weight easily and the regenerative braking would be a real plus. A higher speed rear would help. Hmmmm...maybe one day...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

If my farm-grade roadster pickup is ever done I'd love to try running it on the FEMA-style wood gassifier from the 1980's. It looks easy enough to build and shouldn't be too expensive as it was designed to be made of stuff you'd get at any hardware store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

The biggest thing converting a T to LP would be the fuel tank. LP gives far less gas mileage than gasoline, so you're not just gonna run one on a typical gas grill tank and go very far. Then there's the issue of re-filling, or tank swapping, or whatever. On the up side, an LP engine runs far smoother than a gasoline, carbureted engine any day. I ran my own personal pickup back in the 80s on LP with a 100 gal. tank in the bed and loved it. Not sure if the vaporizer would fit under the hood of a T very well or not, unless they've made 'em smaller these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

My buddy who is not on the forum owns a propane company and he and his dad has a T that runs on propane. If you send me a pm maybe I can put you in contact with him

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

It'll run on a lot of combustable liquids & gasses. There doesn't appear to be any evidence, from years of reading here, that it was actually designed to run on anything but the low grade fuels available back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

Got an email today and this setup is still available for sale.

http://www.tfoye.com/Aircooled.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 06:16 am:

We had a member running propane on his A model Tudor. The tank was concealed in a trunk on the rear parcel carrier. Performance was entirely satisfactory, but the system was removed so the car complied with Historical Registration Requirements, for concessional registration fees.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Allan - could you please give some additional information on the reason for not allowing the propane system and the Historical Registration Requirements?

I found this comment :
"LPG conversions are allowed providing it is approved by the Roads and Maritime recognised (sic) historic vehicle club."

on this site:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/get-nsw-registration/historic-vehic les/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

George, here in South Australia, to qualify for historic registration concessions, the vehicles have to be as close to factory specifications as possible. That means period accessories are permissible, but later modifications are not. So the propane system was a no no.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Allan - Thank you.
George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Someone took a WWII jeep and converted it to electric. They connected a trailer and loaded the batteries in there and used the trailer socket on the jeep to run the cables to and from the batteries in the trailer. From the outside, yu'd never know the difference.

Could do the same with a T. Whatever needed to be larger like a battery or fuel source, put in a small trailer and tow behind the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Allan,
What about a gas producer, that's getting close to period correct and with a hat and coat on it, would look real good sitting beside you in the roadster!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration