Manifold gaskets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Manifold gaskets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Hi all, I think I have more than I need here so what combination of the stuff shown would work best to seal my manifolds?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

If you don't have a warped exhaust manifold the steel gland rings and copper "crush" rings are the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Definitely NOT those "cardboard type" things with the 3 holes. Personally, I like the "all in one" copper glands/rings. They cost a bit more but sure do work nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fry on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Tim,

I have not had much luck with the 3 in 1 fiber gasket shown. Even with a new manifold they eventually burn through and leak. A much better 3 in 1 is made with all copper cladding and standard metal rings. Lang's part #3063MC works best in my experience but cost is quite a bit more.

Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

I kind of figured the three-in-one was probably not great, especially given that it has no rings or anything like the remnants of the one I took off.

Looks like the steel and copper rings are the winners, how about the high-temp sealant? Use it or skip it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

There is still another...a 3-in-1, copper with movable glands. I haven't seen them lately, but I haven't looked either. Definitely the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

The glands and rings work best if you have a straight manifold. If it is warped, you might have one or more ports where the glands won't fit. The 3 in one helps for a temporary fix, but eventually will fail. also in an extreme case, it could even partially block the port from breathing and slow the engine somewhat.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 12:08 am:

I use sealant on the two intake copper rings. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:59 am:

You can use Copper Coat or something similar on the rings, but it will eventually burn off on the exhaust rings. Not sure you need it though. I've never used the stuff on mine and the exhaust and intake rings seal fine. However the trick is to have smooth sealing surfaces on both the manifold and the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:55 am:

The standard gaskets in your little plastic bag work so well that I can't see spending twice as much for the other type. If the exhaust manifold is warped, straighten it or get a better one. I haven't done the math, but some claim that straightening a manifold burns up enough acetylene to pay for a new one. If there are any rust pits or surface irregularities the sealant is a good idea. I use the Permatex high-temp, and I've found no signs of it burning off yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

If people wouldn't have used those 3 and 1 gaskets, their manifolds wouldn't have warped in the first place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Unfortunately it turns out my exhaust manifold is warped so the cheesy fibre three-in-ones are going on for now with rings inserted to help align and seal the intake. This is just a temporary measure and it looks like I'll be getting a straighter manifold sometime over the winter, probably when I get a new exhaust pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Well you're not alone, most are warped. I went through the same thing. If you can't find a good original one you could always get a new reproduction. The reproductions are well made and fit perfect, and made in the USA too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 12:52 am:

The fiber ones do work for a while and seal things off well; however, as mentioned they do eventually dry up and begin leaking. I try the 3 and 1 Copper type and it didn't sell as well as the fiber ones. Eventually, I hope to put on a straighter manifold. But for now, my Atlas/Holly Vaporizer runs like a champ and keeps me car authentic.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration