Improved Car Body Attach Hardware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Improved Car Body Attach Hardware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

Hi guys, would anyone have a basic shopping list of the hardware I'll need to put a '26 Touring body on a frame? The stuff I had was all ground off and tossed a couple years ago.

I'm not really in need of anything fancy, my truck is barely even farm-grade and I plan to just get cheap galvanized stuff from the Home Depot tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Tim,

Please see the information at: http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/body%20blocks/BodyBlock.htm reference body blocks that were used on the 1926-27 cars and that were not used on the earlier cars.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

Thanks Hap. I still have the original body blocks (or very old replacements) so that's covered. I'm more after an idea of what nuts and bolts I'm going to need. Near as I can tell it looks like there are four carriage bolts in the firewall and six vertical bolts into the frame tabs and rear crossmember. Sound about right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Tim,

I've never had an "Improved Ford" so I can't help as much as I would like. The posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/36750.html?1192047869 mentions bolt size but no ever responded saying it was the correct size or not.

However, it would seem logical to me that the bolt would be smaller than the hole to allow for easy assembly if either the frame or body hole was slightly out of tolerance.

If you store allows easy returns (ours does) I would purchase a couple of different size carriage bolts to find one that the head fits the square in the body as well as holding the body to the frame.
Then return the ones you don't need.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

When I go to swap meets, if I see a good buy on a can of original T bolts, I buy it. Because of doing this, I always have a good supply of original bolts on hand. But, it's a good idea to know what you are looking for to begin with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

One of our lurkers sent me this info to post. Hope it helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Steve, that's exactly the kind of shopping list I was after. It's even for exactly my car!

I had been fighting to get 1/2" hardware in there, which will fit the holes but nothing lines up well enough in any direction. Thanks again, you and your lurker friend saved me a lot of cursing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration