1927 Roadster body wood triangles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1927 Roadster body wood triangles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

There are two triangular shaped wood pieces to be mounted inside the cowl, one behind each kick panel. My car never had them so I don't have any reference. It appears they are to be fixed to the body by the pressure of a metal tang but it seems that they could easily vibrate loose that way. Am I missing something?

I think their only function is for tacking the upper part of the kick panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

the metal tang should be bent down so the panel can tuck under it, i dont think the wood piece is org . charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Eric, I have never seen that piece of wood in an original car. Is it something that came with a new kit. ??? Im with Charley, about the tang needs bent down to support the top of the kick panel. Im not going to say there never was a piece of wood like you are showing. Could be some kind of a late 27 addition or possibly a Canadian or export car item. Or maybe I just was not lucky enough to find one. But I have never seen it on domestic cars ... have fun and be safe .... Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Nelson - Eastern Iowa on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Those chunks of wood go up into pockets located on the underside of the body. Some sanding will be needed for fitting. They go right behind the firewall, inboard of the cowl sheet metal, and below the floorboard riser. the wood was originally held in place by a wood screw, coming in from the riser support. later assembly covered the screw head. If still there, the screw must be cut off. You can drill a new screw hole, and hide the head with a bit of body putty. The splash apron is attached to this block with a wood screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 08:45 am:

The triangular pieces are called "cowl tack board". They appear as numbers 671 in the picture below.

Gene, my car had square pieces of wood in the place you describe. The new wood kit had these pieces in it.

I will contact Fordwood to confirm what these two pieces are for and how to properly attach them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

After reading this message I went out and checked my 27 Roadster for these blocks. The slots for the wood are there, but no wood. It does not look like there was every wood installed, both tabs are bent down to almost being closed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration