To powdercoat or paint wire wheels?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: To powdercoat or paint wire wheels?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 01:41 am:

I'm just about to paint my Speedster's wire wheels.
However, before I do I'm seeking advice about powder-coating them instead.
I know Powder-coat is far more robust, but will it give as shiny a finish as a nice coat of paint or does it lack that high gloss. And what about cost, is it more expensive?
I'm keen to hear your opinions.
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:38 am:

I had my wire wheels powder-coated. And yes, they have a very high gloss and shine to them. Before taking them in I did all the prep work, so they were ready to go. I think it cost me about $45/wheel to get them done. It looks great and has held up well. If I do get a rare chip in the powder coat from some of the gravel roads around here, I just take a match head and dip it in a little epoxy enamel and repair the chip area. So far after three years they have held up well and are still looking great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:10 am:

I like having wheels powder-coated as well and have never had any problems with them. Some folks say that the tires are more apt to slip on the wheels when they are coated, as the coating is more slippery than paint. Since your speedster likely will have more power than my stock cars, you might want to sand the inner lips of the rims just a bit to make them less slick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Powder coating is the way to go, IMHO. Since the tires are aired up to 50-60 psi, there is no worry about slipping on the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Powder Coat...... Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:19 am:

Thanks Gents,
Much appreciated.
Now that's a nice red, Randy.
Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob patterson on October 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:44 am:

Rob,

Absolutely DO NOT powder coat the inside of the clincher rim. Mask that part off. It is too slippery and the tire will rotate on the rim.

I will start another thread on this subject when I have a little more time. I have sheared the stems on three tubes in the last month.

Other that that, powder coating is the way to go.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 01:41 am:

Bob,
Thanks for the advice, but the wheels are late 21" wheels with balloon tyres, not clinchers.
Cheers,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:01 am:

When I had mine straighten/trued and balanced that guy painted mine for 75 bucks with automotive enamel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:28 am:

Rob,Powder coat all the wheel no problem. The welded spoke 26/27 wires are so strong they will never break a spoke. I did thousands of k's on my Ford wires without a flat and they have done many more with he new owner.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration