Carb ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:25 am:

26 is has a miss , runs rough at idle or high rpm.
Switched coils, cleaned timer, checked for leaks at intake
Cleaned coil box contacts
Tried different adjustments on carb with knob, tried changing spark advance.
Possibly carb issue? If so what?
Doesn't cough through carb but does out exhaust . Plugs are black and I can smell its very rich .
Help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:29 am:

It helps to have known good spares to switch to and see if the problem goes away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:37 am:

With the engine running, ground out the spark plugs one at a time. If grounding a plug slows the engine, that cylinder is firing. If it doesn't, it isn't. Why isn't it firing? Bad plug, loose wire, stuck valve, broken valve lifter... That last one was my recent experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:47 am:

It's firing on all plugs. Coils are all new I borrowed them.
Las Sunday it started missing while driving and I thought coil.
If ran so bad I didn't think it would make it home. How do I check valves ? Could I be a carb issue? Very hard to start today. Never had that before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Is it running a Vaporizer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:57 am:

NH carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:01 am:

It's a 1922 motor. No noises in engine . Unknown condition but it looks like head has been off because it has paint and the rest of engine does not. I e owe ex it since May. Had it running good till a week ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Is it firing on all cylinders, or is it just sparking on all plugs? Spark doesn't mean a cylinder us firing. If a valve is stuck open or isn't opening enough, it no worky. "It ran so bad I didn't think it would make it home." sure sounds like running on three cylinders.

With the valve cover off you can easily see if there's any problem in there. In this case, #2 exhaust has a quarter inch gap between the lifter and the valve. The gap is supposed to be a few thousandths. The bottom of the lifter is broken off. That's not the only possible valve problem. Sometimes they get stuck and don't close as they should. You should be able to see that too.

I'm not claiming this is definitely your problem, but it's certainly possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Thanks Steve
I will check the valves. I have to leave for Ohio later to pick up my wood wheels. Meeting Steve Hammott . He picked them up in Nevada last week on his way to Hershey . Waiting on his call so if I quit responding that's why.
Thanks for the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Missing = not a carburetor problem. Shorting out the plugs is one way to isolate a weak cylinder. I usually just open the coil box when the car is idling and press down on the coil points one at a time. That way you can be sure all the coil points are in fact vibrating too.

If all the coil points are vibrating but one cylinder is weak, you can try swapping a couple spark plugs. Just because a spark plug will fire it does not mean it will light a fire in the cylinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Do a compression check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Steve, I had the same problem with #4 exhaust. You cannot buy just one of those small bolts anyplace!

I stopped using adjustable lifters after that event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Hi James,

Those bolts can be purchased here:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3058MB.aspx

Langs may not carry everything, but they do carry a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Is anyone else bothered by the angle of the spring retainer on that left-most valve? Perhaps the springs are too strong? T valve springs don't have a high compression spec.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Sometimes "missing" isn't quite the correct term, but it sure feels like it! I had a NH with a bad float valve that would stick....sometimes open, sometimes closed, and then sometimes where it would starve the engine of fuel and the thing felt like it was "missing", but it was actually fuel starved. Then you couldn't get it started, or would "miss" above 28 mph... Check that float valve and be sure you don't have the newer type "ball" valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

KISS
Keep it simple stupid!
I forget that sometimes. My problems started with two bad coils. Fowled two plugs that were new about a month ago.
I started with basics again and checked each plug with it running ( screwdriver method) and found no change in motor on 1st two cylinders . I pulled out a couple champion X plugs that looked about as old as the truck and cleaned them , installed and problem solved.
It's parade bound tomorrow night.
Thanks for all info on the problem. I sometimes forget to start with basics. I just put the plugs in about a month ago so when I got good coils I was thinking carb or valves .
Running good now.
Thanks to all

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration