Generator repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Generator repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

Today, a friend gave me two Model T generators to repair. Well, they are both rather tired, so I thought I attempt to make one serviceable unit from both. One armature was badly worn where the drive gear fits, which make this one unusable. The other armature has a straight and within tolerance shaft. Tested the armature on a growler. No shorts, opens and each winding generators a strong voltage. Apparently at one time, someone replaced the insulators on the brush rigging and it is still in good shape. Also the brushes are like new. So I optimistic thought I could make one work. After assembling the better pieces, I found the generator would motor at 4.0 amperes and the field current was around 1.5 amperes. Looks good. Then I set the neutral, which seemed a little squirrely, so I moved on. The generator would not generate. Pulled it apart and looked over as much as I could, re tested the armature, looked at the field windings, all looked good. Did this a couple of times before I noticed the problem. I had replaced the 4 6x32 machine screws that hold the neutral setting ring. The replacement screws I got at the hardware store were 3/8" long, which is about 1/8" longer than the originals. Doesn't seem that important, but one of the screws was barely touching the commutator and shorted it out. I shortened all 4 screws, reinstalled everything and just like magic, the generator came to life and began producing current. Just thought I mention this for anyone else who may replace hardware. Make sure it fits properly. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Thanks Mike. May come in handy someday.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration