Skipadee doo da first free start

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Skipadee doo da first free start
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

I have always used the starter on my TT and have never gotten a free start. This afternoon I thought since it's been pretty chilly here in the mornings and Stanley has been sitting for a while and since he starts so easily I would see if I could crank start him. I gave him 4 priming pulls and when I turned the key to battery bingo, my first free start. I was so impressed that I shut him down and tried it again. Got my second free start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

You know you have a great running T orTT when it does that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

As a newbie, it seems there should be a point where one could turn the crank to in order to get a free start. Obviously if there was one, everyone would do it. But if it is going to fire when the key is turned on and start the motor, it sure seems like it would work again if the piston which fired was in the same position the next time the key were turned on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Mr. Hicks:

A well executed hand-crank start on battery is essentially a free start.

Watch this video - Royce's father cranking a T - he was 91 years old at that time. Notice that slowly lifts the crank. He is merely putting the a piston in the proper position and letting internal combustion take over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhEnNzv6LBM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Thanks, I did not understand the term "free start".

I thought it meant that a piston was in the proper position on compression just past
TDC and when you turned the key on the plug fired that cylinder pushing the piston down which started the motor without having to use the starter or hand crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Your definition of free start is correct.

What I was pointing out is that a hand crank start is really no different than a free start.

When you crank start, you are putting a piston in the proper position allowing internal combustion to take over.

With a free start, a piston is already in the correction position for internal combustion to do its work once the ignition is turned on.

Crank start = ignition turned on prior putting piston in position

Free start = piston in position prior to turning on ignition

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Eric, your patience is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

I've gotten a free start as long as 4 days after the car was shut off. No priming pulls or anything. Just key on and off she goes. Of course, I can also go weeks with no free starts at all. It's all magic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

My 26 touring is pretty good about giving free starts. Only once after it sat overnight. That one shocked me so much I almost let it die before I remembered to advance the timing.

After I installed a set of Ron Patterson's rebuilt coils I was going to pull it real slow through four compression strokes and listen for differences in the sound of their buzzing. Even though the engine was cold and had not been primed it started every time a coil buzzed. Had to turn the gas off and run the carburetor dry to do my test. Plug for Mr. Patterson, he builds good coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

It's pretty neat to see that old guy hand start that car. It turns over easier than I would've thought. I have a video of my Grandfather hand starting mine on Youtube somewhere. I've never gotten a free start. It fired once and turned it over but never started up without cranking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

I always start mine on mag but the other day I put on a battery to do some troubleshooting. It makes my cousin so mad that he never can start it, and I don't know why he's bigger than me, but he just came by about an hour ago and I told him come outside. Well I switched it to batt, hoped it didn't free start, then told him to pull up on the crank. Fired right up so he was happy he finally started it. He always flooded it before it would start on mag. Really used to get his goat cause my ex-wife could start it on mag. I know she sounds like a keeper but I'll go ahead and splurge for a starter if I can find a gal that can cook good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 11:55 pm:

When I prime crank a T I always turn the ignition on first. Sometimes it starts on the first, second or third pull.
Actually I don't pull, I turn the crank with my foot, much easier on my old body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Corey,
Good cookin' is overated!!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Myself i pull the lever back,check the spark position,open the throttle, richen the mixture,and turn switch to batt. The T must start and continue to run,and farts do not count! I used to free start usually but now it's seldom. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

https://youtu.be/eKMI_nWiZ2k

I rebuilt the engine in this car for a fire dept on Long Island. You're seeing "free starts" on an engine that has about 5 minutes run time and wasn't broken in yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

Wow!! Real free starts!! Is that T the one that was in Tin Lizzie?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Honestly Kenneth I have been dealing with some personal issues and have not opened a VF in about 4 years. Can you post a picture? There are 2 other videos of that car on my youtube channel if you want to see more of the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration