Generator ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Generator ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Got all my lights hooked up and working, a full battery charge and the engine at 1/3 engine speed the amp gauge is at 12 amps with no lights on and 4-5 amps with the lights on . is the 12 amps normal ? i am using a cut out . thanks, Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Sounds excessive to me. From reading earlier threads, the ammeter should barely show a charge at cruising speeds with the headlights on bright.

Here is a link to a bunch of earlier threads:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=opt imum+generator+charge+rate+mtfca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Your headlights can evidently be original 21 candlepower or up to repro 50 candlepower.

The tail light is evidently only 5 candlepower.

I have never seen a chart on how much current each light type can draw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Sounds high. I would adjust the third brush for about zero with lights on at cruise. Some even recommend a slight discharge with lights on at cruise if you don't do much night driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Don't know about 21CP and 50CP bulbs, but I tested some 32/32CP bulbs and they drew 8 amps/pair. Can't help with taillight bulbs as I run LED tails. I set my max generator output at 12 amps. But I also use a Fun Projects regulator and highly recommend them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I moved the third brush last night and in the process the insulator broke. maybe i had it to loose or to tight when i tried to slide the brush. looks like it's made of hard paper. i didn't run the engine after that. a new insulator is on the way from Langs thanks Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Hi Ken , New insulator will require new brush holders or maybe you ordered the complete plate. In my case I will try first to drill and tap the old brush holders and use cap screws to hold everything together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Thanks to all that replied.
John i did not order a complete plate. i will try to reuse brush holders

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

I just replaced the insulator, using my old brush holder.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration