Computer problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Computer problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Had a bunch of W10 updates come in this morning and have had trouble getting favorites back. Cannot access the MTFCI at all, just get error 404 msg and URL not located on this server. Anyone else have this trouble?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 09:43 am:

The MTFCI site has been hacked. Nothing to do with the Win10 install - that's another issue!
It will sort itself out...good luck with your patience.

I dislike furniture being moved around my house, as well as moving things around on my computer.

MSFT is really pushing me to a MAC!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Dave...over a year ago I got an I-Mac & glad I did. Computing made easy. I remember a late friend of mine years ago telling me he had "a real computer" when I told him of my first windows POS. He ran it 20 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Real computers run UNIX

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 11:40 am:

John : LINUX UBUNTU 16.x no problems ever, but I guess the hackers hate me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

One of our laptops at home forced me into a windows 10 upgrade. Ever since then, THIS forum does not run right. After reading a thread, I hit the "Back" button and it locks up and says the page quit working and give you the option to "Recover Page". That works sometimes, but not usually. Other web pages work fine on that computer and this site works fine on my work computer, so I don't know what the problem is. Combination of things, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

I hope you have all the permissions turned off that send data to Microsoft Jim. How the government lets them get away with this data theft is beyond me. If you're not sure what to do then install Spybot's Beacon software which will show you all the sensitive settings and allow you to turn them off. Beware that with every Windows update there will probably be new settings to try and get around your choices. Theft is theft and yet everyone seems happy with Microsoft stealing your personal information, contacts, intellectual property etc. This worries me with regards to lawyers and doctors using Win10. They're not the brightest people on the planet. I have it on a new laptop but keep a watchful eye on data settings along with Spybots assistance.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

The Int is not down cause I was able to get into it on my wifes computer. This is crazy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

We've got Webroot (Best Buy/Geek Squad) and just received the MS updates this morning. Did the re-start and everything seems to be normal, maybe even quicker. I do use Mozilla Firefox ('private window') as my usual browser, whether that makes any difference, 'DUNNO'... Always sensible to cover/tape over the web-cam and microphones which are built in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Here is how to disable updates in Windows 10. http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-dow nloading-updates/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

If you're already running W10, I suggest you allow all updates. M$ is still nailing Jello to the wall on that version and there's still many fixes in the queue as well as additional functions. Not sure why it was released to the public but it's not complete by any means. I'm still a member of the "Preview" group and get email notices every month on W10's progress and upcoming changes/updates.

For those still on previous versions, MS issued updates to reverse the W10 upgrade nags last month. The option for the free upgrade has expired so all the previous "make ready" and "reminder" patches are removed by the updates.

I'm still on W7 and will remain there until this PC goes up in smoke. After that, I'm going with a Note phone or Pad. I'm done with MS and the big boxes. I just don't need it any longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

I don't think Windows is, nor ever will be, "complete". Why do you think they keep issuing new OS's all the time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

For the same reason car companies keep issuing new cars - to yank money out of your pockets.

Stephen, you're right on updates. Keep them enabled and up to date. Just be sure to stay on top of any new permissions that have been added or changes to old permissions - updates are sneaky and this is your private information that's being sent to Microsoft.

Garnet

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration