Transmission band centring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Transmission band centring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Thorpe on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

I have recently installed new bands on my 1926 T. The rear (brake) band will not stay centred. The lower part of the band slips back until it is halfway off the drum. Suggestions to get it to stay centred welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Odd, does it look like in this picture, with a wider drum for the brake and the wide band centered over the brake drum?

ttt

In that case I can't imagine how it could slip back off the drum??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

Do you have a 3 dip or a 4 dip pan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Hey that triple gear is close to the fly wheel. I posted a picture like that and was told to remove the engine. The other two gears don't come close but one does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Robert, I think it might be your photo that I borrowed for the post? - that triple gear is certainly no good, but the purpose of the picture was just to make certain Gerald has all '26/'27 style parts in his transmission - a mix of certain other parts won't work.

I'm thinking if perhaps he has an earlier transmission with all narrow drums in combination with a '26/'27 hogshead and pedals - that would move the center of the brake band to the rear of the brake drum center and would probably result in a band that slips back halfway off the drum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Another thing (one that I experienced myself, hence the reason I asked which pan he has) is that there is a clearance issue with a 3 dip pan and the wide brake band. The pan itself will prevent the band from going on straight and centered. My issue went away once I got the proper four dip pan for my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Ha! Roger I thought that looked like mine. I'm waiting on an engine puller that I ordered from Northern Tool. Got the Eye Hooks from Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Ya know what I just looked at my picture on my phone. That one is not mine but has the same issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Thorpe on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Thanks for your suggestions folks. My bands and drums are all the same width. All were replaced and the other two are fine, just the brake band won't stay centred. . How do I get this popjpeg to turn into a picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Gerald

One cause could be the band. These steel bands have rough life, and get bent out of round. Maybe that brake band is twisted. Can happen when placing into the cover route.

Both of these bands are out of shape, sprung and one is slight twist, correct them on a mandrel with a mallet to get back to shape.

Bottom band is back in shape to be re-lined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 06:19 am:

Gerald, you wrote above you have a 1926 T. All '26 T's from start of production July 27, 1925 had a brake drum wider than the two other drums. They also had a new connection between the top of the transmission cover (the so called hogshead) and the rear of the engine block with two bolts.
You seems to have the older style transmission with equal width drums, then it's essential you also have the older style hogshead without the bolts to the engine block and with three similar shaped pedals.
The '26/'27 hogshead would position the brake band too far back on an earlier narrow brake drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Gerald it seems you have a mixture of parts. The 26 originally had a wide brake drum and a hogshead that moved the brake pedal towards the rear to keep the pedal in the middle of the wider band. From your picture you have a narrow band and a narrow pre-26 brake drum.
The correct solution is to use matching parts. Using the early narrow band on early drums and a late hogshead you will have the very problem you are experiencing. Simple solution is to find an early hogshead, even though the later style is generally preferred, but it must use matching parts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration