Introduction and a Connecticut VIN question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Introduction and a Connecticut VIN question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Erman on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

First of all let me say thank you. I have been lurking here on the forum for a few weeks getting all sorts of helpful information from past postings and i decided that now is the time to sign up and become official.

My name is Ken and i live in Windsor, CT. I have collected and tinkered with Hit & Miss farm engines for a few years. I recently became the "next family caretaker" of a 1926 Model T pickup that was restored by my California Uncle in the early 90's. A cousin in Kentucky has had it for the last 15 years or so during which time it has gotten some use, but sat in a barn for the last 2 years. Now it lives with my wife and i here in central Connecticut.

With the help of searching on this forum I have gotten it running and made a few victory laps around our 1 acre lot, (very cool)

My first official question is to those who may have registered an out of state T here in Connecticut. Despite the fact that it was titled both in Kentucky and California i have to have the VIN verified at an official inspection station.

Being that the T only has an 8-digit VIN/engine serial number, i am worried i'll have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it done. The title and engine numbers match, there are no stamped numbers on the frame as this is an early 1926 machine. So far i get blank stares and awkward silence when talking to anyone "official" and mention it's a '26 T.

Are there any words of advice in dealing with the State of CT to get it done smoothly with minimum trips to the DMV?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the affliction. Nice looking pickup in your profile.

I hope that some of our members from the Nutmeg State will offer advice and counsel regarding how to successfully deal with the Connecticut DMV. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

I haven't dealt with the state of CT, but any bureaucrat likes to look at numbers and papers - so if they like to have a frame number, why not give them one that matches the papers on top of the passenger side frame at the brake cross shaft area? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

The first thing I would do in any state is to stamp the engine number on he passenger side frame rail. rub some flat paint into the stamping to make look not too fresh. When all the numbers match they are much happier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

John's suggestion is especially true for a 1926 car, as the officials have no idea when Ford first started doing that (engine #12,861,044 in Dec 2915). I'm surprised that didn't happen in California, as the CA DMV really doesn't like engine numbers for VIN uses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charlie haeckel on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

I am in CT and have done this recently. All out of state vehicles must have a vin verification and emission exemption at an approved emission testing station. I use a knowledgeable guy in East Haven, but there must be one closer to you. I would suggest driving another vehicle there and talk to them first then when you find one you are happy with take the T there. If you go to Weathersfield for the inspection instead of an emission test center they will assign you a new VIN and charge you much more. To register at the DMV you will need the out of state title, Emission and vin verification, Q1 form,and insurance card. Last month i waited in line for 4.5 hours for the 15 minute transaction on my F350

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Erman on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 07:53 am:

Thanks for all of the advice. There is a guy 5 miles up the road in Windsor Locks who i talked to on the phone who seemed pretty interested in seeing the truck in person. Between the engine number and a matching stamped tag on the firewall (that i had forgotten about) it should be enough to satisfy the State. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Ken,
Hmm, the firewall tag technically in Califunny wouldn't do, as it's on the body which can be changed. However, having said that; my model A (I'm the second owner) when I had to change out the original engine due to a cracked block (VERY cracked) the DMV wouldn't let me keep that registration number (the frame stamped number is under the splash apron, you have to lift the body off to see it on an A) and they wanted to put one of there "assigned VIN number plates" on my car, but I got them to accept the San Francisco Assembly plant number on the seat riser cross-member instead. So, although their rules say differently, they do it too!
I still think a number on your frame is a good idea! "Look hard" you might find it! If not, maybe a friend with a number stamp set can help you "find" it!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Erman on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Wanted to give an update on my car.

Today i was able to get the VIN verified without a hitch. The engine number and firewall number were enough to satisfy them.

I did learn that Connecticut doesn't issue Titles for cars that are more than 20 years old, they told me that if i sell it the Registration is all that is needed for the next owner.

I sure love running around the neighborhood in the old girl...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

Biggest problem I had with the Texas DMV was classifying my touring.

It has 3 doors but is not a hatchback.
It is a convertible but has 4 seats and not 2.
it is not a sedan because it does not have a hard top.
It is not an open car because the top goes up.

When I pulled out the pictures, the lady called all her co-workers to come and take a look. Quite a day to offer free rides...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

I registered my T in Connecticut. I'd got the car from my uncle's estate in Massachusetts. It had a Mass title VIN 915783. That matches the engine that's no longer in the car. So I worked alongside the mechanic (VIN verification is done at certified service stations) looking for the mysterious VIN. As expected, he knew nothing about Model T's so it was easy to "guide him". Even though he saw the engine number he had no idea that it could have been a VIN. Since it didn't match, he was happy to keep searching. He was nice and helpful, but after a while, figured out that the VIN was unknown so he simply signed off that 915783 was the VIN.

It's not exactly accurate, but then what is? Some part of original production has to be equivalent to a VIN, but what part? Engine or Body. The engine is how T owners mostly identify a serial number, but then changing an engine leaves the car without an identity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Ken if you have any questions on the process give me a shout I live in granby ct any I have done many t's at the dmv and if you need any help with it let me know because I have parts and tools galore for 26-7 open t's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:23 am:

Charlie,
That is exactly why many of us "discover" that the engine VIN number was somehow stamped on the frame on the passenger's side behind the motor mount (where Ford did them starting in the 26 year models). As this is a documented location for later years, it seems to work for earlier years too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration