1st Place Without Even Try'n!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1st Place Without Even Try'n!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Here's a weird one for Burger, who does not like, nor ever participate in car shows:

Last Saturday, our club (Carbon Canyon Model T Club) participated in the Orting, WA. Red Hat Days Parade, a 50+ year tradition celebrating the Opening Day of hunting season. This has become quite a carnival-like annual festive event which includes many community activities, including a parade and car show. Neither our Model T Club (nor I) participated at all in the car show, but merely assembled nearby with many other cars, trucks, floats, etc., awaiting further instructions regarding where we should line up for the start of the parade.

While we waited, some of the car show organizers approached our group and inquired as to who owned the Model T Roadster Pickup with matching trailer. Hmmm,.....guess who,.....right?

I was awarded a fancy red ribbon inscribed winner of "Peoples Choice" award for the '23 Roadster Pickup & Trailer!

I explained,...."but I did not enter the car show, and really had nothing to do with the car show at all!"

I was then told,...."we know that, but this is the one that the people like, so,......"CONGRATULATIONS",.....and would you please stand over by your Model T and trailer so we can get a photograph?"

So, once the parade started, and our club proceeded down "the main drag" with our Model T's, my '23 Model T Pickup & Trailer was announced as a "Peoples Choice" winner to which I received (or rather my Model T received) as I passed by the announcers stand, recognition and a round of applause from several hundred people!!!

So, Burger,.....how cool is that, right? Won a top award at a show I never even entered!!!

My only regret is that the late Bob McDonald (the Federal Way, WA. Model T Snowmobile expert, well-known and respected on this forum) who built/restored the Model T Pickup and little matching trailer, and who is no longer with us, could not have been there to enjoy the "Peoples Choice" award that his beautiful restoration work produced, at a car show that neither he nor I nor the car was ever even entered in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Where is the picture of the award winning T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Well,....that's a problem,.....I don't have a picture, and, worse yet, I'm just barely "computer literate", and couldn't post a picture if I had one! (....only reason my forum profile shows a picture of my '27 depot hack is because Hap Tucker somehow added that to my profile for me!)

I'm thinking that here locally, a picture will eventually "appear" somewhere, and maybe one of the Carbon Canyon Model T Club folks might post one in this thread for me,.....stay "tuned",.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Harold,
I think it's gonna be hard to top that one in the "I got a Trophy" stories.
Hey, the people know a fun car when they see it!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Another bunch of common muscle cars blown away by a Model T. Congrats Harold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

There is one kind of car show I enjoy, and that is the small town, no major sponsor
kind, where billet streetrods and anything with mags is turned away at the gate. The
type where Grandpa's Terraplane and that barn fresh Hupmobile or Studebaker is
likely to be seen, and nary a bright yellow Mustang or flame covered Chevelle is in
sight. To find one like this is hard anymore. But take away the trophies and ribbons
and dash plaques and many of "predictable" crowd go elsewhere to chase their dust
catchers.

Our local HASSIE club puts on a show every summer where only original cars are
allowed. You are likely to see anything from a 1900 Locomobile to a 1959 Olds 98
ragtop. I don't ever recall seeing a Nova, Mustang, or GTO at one of these shows.
And the people there are cut from a whole different cloth. Very real, humble, and
genuine. A real treat to talk with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

We'll give it a try to post this picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Well, that didn't work,....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

Well, that didn't work,.... We'll try one more time and if it works it's thanks to Bob Gruber.
Model "T" Roadster Pick-up with Trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Well I'll be darned! There ya' go Jack P.,....again thanks to my wife (who's just a bit ahead of me in "comptereeeze")....and Bob Gruber!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

Harold, Looks great! And welcome to the 20th Century. ( I know its now the 21st Century, but you gotta do this slowly.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Bringing one home without even trying. Way to go Harold! Don't hide that ribbon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Very awesome. People's choice awards are great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 12:33 am:

That's something I've never even heard of. Winning and never even entered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 01:11 am:

I once entered our '23 TT (chassis) in our local 4th of July parade. I got second place and I was the only one entered in my class! :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 01:52 am:

Well, David, you've reminded me of one of my favorite limericks:

In a contest of beauty and grace,
my mother-in-law displayed her face.
When the tally was run,
and the judging all done,
she was third in a two-woman race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Harold... congrats! Just the mere presence of T makes people smile!

What year is it? Did you make the top yourself? Canvas??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Congrats Harold, that's bitchin' :-) I always wondered what happened to Bob's neat pick up and trailer combo. I had commented on his work several times and too, miss his posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Dennis - Thanks for the kind words and as to the year,....it's a '23. I bought the car just as you see it at an estate sale. The top looks and feels like some type of high quality canvas and I believe it was installed professionally, but there is no way of knowing much else about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Harold ... very good .. .mine's a '24 Roadster - come pick'm up. I have the incorrect top irons (apparently cut down from a touring), and it's downright dangerous trying to get in and out without getting a concussion! (My wife actually DID, one day). When I get around to re-doing the irons, I think I'd like to go the canvas route.

Nice look'n combo rig there!

Thanks!
Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Bob McDonald was there Harold, Who do you think made the people pick your truck that wasn't even entered. I miss Bob's snowmobile posts too.

Congratulations on your win

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

"I once entered our '23 TT (chassis) in our local 4th of July parade.
I got second place and I was the only one entered in my class! :-( Dave"

=========================

Not sure why you're bummed on that.

After I changed my pants (because I pissed myself from laughing so hard),
I'd CHERISH that award as the PERFECT expression of my ugly-ass truck
and the car show scene !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Burger, I wasn't really bummed, actually, I thought it was hilarious! I still have the ribbon. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Good on you. It would be my most treasured "anti-award" ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 05:54 am:

Harold,

Way to go! And it will be a fun story for your kids to tell their kids.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration