Radii on crank journals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radii on crank journals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:13 am:

I read here every day about broken crankshafts, just read about the V8 crank. When I put my 14 motor together I remember having the rod journals ground, I can't remember .010 or .020. That was 20 years ago and I sure didn't know then about the radii and I don't know if the person that ground it did or not. I can take off the pan and look I suppose but if they are not there should I be afraid to drive? Motor runs perfect I hate to replace the crank especially when I can't afford a new one. If I have to take it that far apart I'd want a new cam too, replace the valves and put the Ford clutches back. Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:28 am:

One of the improvements with the straight throw style crank that came in 1924 was larger radii by the rod journals - they used to be just 1/16", but was increased by then to 1/8". Ford's main journals always had 1/8" radii.

Just drive and be happy while you may work on or save parts for your next Ford, so you'll have anything to drive when the current needs some repairs - and they all need from time to time - if not repairs at least lots of grease and maintenance :-)

Ideally a hobbyist needs at least three Model T's , one to drive, one to restore and one to borrow parts from :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:31 am:

You've got a touch of Charlie's Disease. There's no telling when or if it'll go. With 20 years of running behind it I'd be obsessing about something else. Don't worry, I'll think of something. Pulling it down will, without a doubt, lead to other "wants" and expenses. Pulling it apart for no apparent reason and with no spare $ is just plain nuts. Should I be afraid to drive? No. Replace the cam? Why not if it's needed. Valves? 2 piece ones belong in the trash other types might be re-usable. The clutches others will post about and it'll be 50/50 on Ford or some other brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:51 am:

I do obsess too much. Last night I was in my modern car and almost turned back around to go get some oil before I went home. It was a little low the other day. I'm sure I can make it 5 more miles back to town to get some. I'll go with the Ford clutches. I have them in my 21. I hadn't started it in about 6 months until the day before yesterday. I put in some gas and cranked it on mag with about 8 pulls, no jacking up a back wheel or any of that. They seem to engage smoother than the jack rabbit, turbo 500 or watts or whatever I put in the 14. But I think at the time I was 14 and the catalog said they were better. Coke thought it could do better too but it didn't go over too well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

"New Coke" now we're showing our age!!
I remember the line in back to the Future when what's-his-name asks for "Pepsi Free" "Pepsi isn't free, ya gotta pay for it!"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration