Need help identifying rear brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need help identifying rear brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Hi all. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I recently bought a 24 roadster that had been sitting in a garage for the last 30 years. The person I bought it through got it when the previous owner passed away and his children sold his collection, so no real history on the vehicle is known.

I'm in the process of bringing it up to snuff to get on the road and am going to replace the shoes on both the parking brake and the auxiliary rear brakes as well as several other projects. I've been looking through the forum for a while and am coming up at a loss in identifying what kind of brakes these are. They don't look like RM or AC brakes to me, but I'm hoping some of your experience will come to the rescue. They appear to be a self-energizing type with the mounting point on the front of the drum. There doesn't appear to be anything to keep the band centered on the drum either. There are solid linkages to an equalizer bar that is mounted to the rear of the parking brake crossmember. Connection to the service brake pedal is a smaller solid rod that attaches to the pedal with a collar. Everything mounted to the drums looks to have some age on it, but everything forward of it looks (relatively) recent.

I'm out of adjustments to make and am going to have to replace the linings. I'd like to get on the right path to finding the correct ones. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

image/jp2
IMG_0048 copy.jp2 (134.4 k)
image/jp2
IMG_0051 copy.jp2 (134.4 k)
image/jp2
IMG_0052 copy.jp2 (134.4 k)
image/jp2
IMG_0053 copy.jp2 (134.3 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

I suppose photos would help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

While some of us can figure how to view the photos because they are really, really BIG. You have the KB under 250 but the photos are loading at 3024px X 4032px, that like looking at an 18" X 20" picture thru a 8" X 11" hole close up. :-)

The one photo of the brakes(outside rear) from what I can see look home made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

I don't know what kind of brakes you have. Your wheel spokes are all cracked, and unsafe. You need to replace all the spokes before you drive the car any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

I don't know how to view your pictures either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Resized-

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

I agree, those spokes are pretty weathered looking, I'd be leery of driving on the highway with them. As for lining, you just need to get some soft brake lining material and have it riveted on, or do it yourself if you have the equipment & knowledge (actually the equipment doesn't need to be anything fancy, if you have the knowledge.) It might be hard to trace down the actual make of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Thanks for the input. I planned on replacing the spokes when I pulled the rear wheels to change the parking brake shoes and axle seals. Lots of projects to prioritize before she sees anything more than short test drives around the neighborhood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

To view the photos smaller; put your arrow over the picture and right click the mouse. The window will open, click view image. It will show a smaller image.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration