Model TT Ford Maintenance advice needed for drive train

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model TT Ford Maintenance advice needed for drive train
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 06:35 am:

Well I have a Model TT Ford truck courtesy of my Son. I have learned a great deal over the years from the forum. My specific questions in addition to the great checklists for taking a Model T out of storage
which I know, what specific items should I do for the drive train worm gear and differential before driving? Anything else specific to the TT frame and drive train should I check?

I assume I should drain, flush and clean drive shaft and differential and fill with 600 weight oil and re-grease grease cups

Also I need to buy a spare rear tire as I have none of that size if anyone has an extra rim and tire set

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 07:04 am:

Sorry I can't help with TT specifics, but that's a great looking truck !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Even though the TT rear end is different, I don't believe checking it for the road is any different than a regular T:

1. Check rear end lube and add if needed.
2. Make sure the outer bearing grease cups (1 each side, 2 total) have grease, give each a turn.
3. Put a few drops of oil in the spring shackle oilers (2 each side, 4 total).
4. Put a few drops of oil in the emergency brake actuator shaft oilers (1 each side, 2 total).

If it's been in storage you might want to run it a little, then change the rear end oil. Also, at first I'd run it then check hubs for excessive heat. Likewise the auxiliary brakes if it has them.

The TT rear end is pretty tough. Just make sure it's well lubricated and go, go, go! Of course, zoom, zoom, zoom is a little out of reach in a TT. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I think all you need to do is check the lubricant level and fill the grease cups and give them each several turns. All your tires are high pressure tires and should be inflated to about 55 psi.

Buy the Ford Model T shop manual. Its been reprinted and available at a low cost and will give you a wealth of information. You might also get a copy of an owners manual for the year of your truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 11:00 am:

I was a little concerned when I discovered the Ford Service manual suggests
checking lubrication points in terms of HOURS. I had been driving the wheels
off mine when I noticed the grease cups and oilers and thought I ought to know
how often to mess with them !

So, I asked the Grand Poobah about it, and in typical fashion, he pointed out the
"hours" thing in the manual, and then said "On my cars, I do it about once a year" !!!
He drives his cars every day, where I am once a week on average during the summer
months and I put the old truck away for the winter.

I gave it a little thought and figured I'd do what I do with all my machines, ... familiarize
myself with the checkpoints, and check them here and there as go about my business
in the shop or otherwise, and keep my antennas up for noises and vibrations.

I check the oil every time before taking the beast anywhere, the coolant any time
it starts to run a little warm, or just routinely, like the oil. I went through all the grease
cups and cleaned them of the old wax that had dried in place and put fresh goop
in them. They get the occasional crank when I am in a place to do it. The ones
under the floor boards get it when I have them out to adjust the bands, which seems
to be all the time ! I keep a pumper oiler full of chain saw bar lube in the bench just
for the spring oilers. I suspect (by the smell) that this stuff is nothing but 90wt. gear
lube. Either way, it lingers longer on the joints than normal motor oil, so I run with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

I have just disassembled a TT rear end and find that the brake drum area is totally filled with grease. They must have lubed the outboard bearings (grease cups) every day. The rest of the rear end (Ruckstell) is also very well lubed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

Don't forget to put some oil in the Thrust Bearing on the worm. This bearing can be dry after setting for some time. It takes a while for the Gear oil to get back into this area after being driven and Ford had a lot of issues with this bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 08:19 am:

Thanks to everyone. I AM A BIT WORRIED

reading the black Model T Fords Service Manual and the Model T Ford Car instructions by Victor Page I see nothing about the maintenance of the drive train for the Ford TT such as lubrication specifics Also I did not know the 55 PSI rear tire pressure

Is there another reference repair book specific to TT trucks I can purchase ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 09:34 am:

The Ford Manual was included with every Ford and covers the TT too, see answer #116:

http://www.mtfca.com/books/1926Inst.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

WOW Thank you Roger ! My eyes must be bad. Info right there I just did not see it or find it reading through the books. Now to get to work on it !! Many thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration