Anatomy of a gas cap.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anatomy of a gas cap.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

I was putting a new gasket on my gas cap when I noticed the two vent holes, one top, one bottom, didn't align. Also I couldn't get air flow when I blew on one of the holes. It appears there is a small chamber that both holes may be directed at which is plugged by a pressed in plug. I am thinking the small chamber contained some filter element that has since become plugged. Comments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Funny that you should post this as I had been searching the internet two weeks ago because my gas cap did not have a breather hole in it. If you search previous Forum threads, you will discover that what you have on the inside is a baffle and that the holes do not line up so that way gasoline does not Splash out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Thanks Jim. A baffle makes sense. Still couldn't blow air through the holes so it's in need of some repair.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

I'm no expert on the real early gas caps, but that is what yours looks like to me. Why not try running a wire through the vent hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard C Held on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

It looks to me that it has a removable plug. Would it be something that you could find?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Maybe try compressed air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 08:07 am:

You're lucky you didn't get stuck as the tank will become air bound ( probably the wrong description) if it isn't vented. Depending of how much fuel is in there it will eventually stop flowing without venting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 08:12 am:

You know, thinking about this, if the vent is truely plugged it was probably the shot gasket letting air in the tank that kept you going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Larry it is some sort of aftermarket cap, not an early T cap at all. I think if it were mine I would remove the cup plug and then make sure the lower hole is open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Before removing anything I would soak it in carb. cleaner overnight and see if that corrects the venting problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Thanks for the replies. Probing both holes with a wire was the first thing attempted. Due to the angle of the holes it is obvious they weren't intended to meet but were to access a small chamber in the cap that was enclosed by the plug seen in the picture. I believe Jim is correct in that the there is a baffle in the chamber to prevent fuel spillage. Evidently the chamber has become blocked by dirt or corrosion. In any case a small drill has solved the problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration