T top bow clamp identification information

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: T top bow clamp identification information
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Is there any information available for identifying
Model T top bow clamps? These are the bow clamps that are mounted on the top rear corners of T Roadster and Touring cars.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

John,

The USA cars use what is called a Top Bow Saddle and then a strap that is attached to the saddle holds the bows down in place. The photo below from Shorpy of Aunt Mary's Roadster:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/4432?size=_original show the common USA style used approximately 1913-1922.

The USA ones came in 3 basic versions (and of course variations Ė but 3 cover the basics) see Langís parts at: https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=saddle&page=1 .
Note Ford of Canada used the same parts until they switched to a clamp style Ė Iím not sure exactly when that occurred.

At the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/35088.html?1188520763 there is a discussion along with part numbers for some of the Ford of Canada top clamps. Vic Pattersonís are shown below, but when he obtained the car, it did not have any top rest clamps.

And of course other makes had similar top clamps as well as accessory companies made top clamps for the Model Ts.

Please let us know which type you are asking about.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

What you are identifying as clamps are in fact straps, with either D rings, or O rings, and are a non standard size. They also have a buckle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

What I have is very similar to the one that the person is holding in his hand. I wish I could post a pic but I don't have a way to upload a pic.

The pics on the thread that Hap sent has one on the T touring has one real similar to the one that I have. I was thinking there may a pictorial reference book that might have these listed.

I have a matching pair I have for my 21 Touring.

I have a total of three and was thinking of trying to sell the one extra on the classifieds.
I was thinking it mounts on the top bow saddle bracket that is on each corner of a T Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 06:43 am:

John,

Ford USA did not use that style, but they were available as aftermarket accessories. And of course Ford of Canada used several different ones.

If you want to e-mail a couple of photos to me, I will try to post them. If you click on my name, my e-mail address is the third line down. For the Canadian cars, there was a left and a right -- so you needed a matched pair and not 3 of one side. I don't know how the accessory ones were done. And of course it could be one from a different make of car.

If you are going to take photos, please put a ruler or something next to the part. It makes it much easier to judge the size.

Also if there are any part numbers/factory numbers cast into them please have that in the photo or tell us what they are.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration