Modified engine block question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Modified engine block question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Punter on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

This '23 block has 1/2" holes between every lifter. What is the purpose of drilling extra holes ?

thanks in advance
Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Oil return holes probably, but a bit excessive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Question. Would this be a good idea to drill a hole above each cam lobe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

The lifter will be on top of each cam lobe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Corey, oops, that's true. dah!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

I once tore down a motor and found that someone had drilled holes on the left side of the block and installed a seconded oil tube . I guess two oil lines would be better then one .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Probably, someone had trouble with stuck valves, and thought that this would help. It probably would help some with more oil splash finding its way to the valve chamber. It would probably also burn a little more oil also. Most old valve chambers that I have opened up looked like they had plenty of oil in them. Even with just a couple small holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

I added some to mine of the same size to drain the areas that were built up with asphalt. It was a 26 engine and the lifters in those areas were worn worse than the rest, so i figured that they were running in dirty oil that couldn't be drained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Maybe the theory was that the cam lobes would throw more oil to the valve chamber that way? Unnecessary at best.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration