Brand new (old) Firestone tires. Can you guys help put a date on them?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brand new (old) Firestone tires. Can you guys help put a date on them?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Such a question coming from a guy quite used to 4X4 pickup rear tires on F&H trailer wheels and Packard 110 front tires on ?Plymouth? wheels on a model T.
I know, I ain't quite right but it's all I had when I tossed it together. See my profile pic of my beautiful roadster pickup. :-)

Firestone tires, made in New Zealand.
Here's a couple rear tire pics.
tire 1

tire 2

ANY help deciphering WHEN they were made would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Duane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

It's been 20 years since those tires were last made in NZ. They cannot be any newer than 1996.

I would not worry about them too much, they appear to be in good shape, not cracked and not dry rotted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

They're absolutely beautiful tires. No cracks, no funky looking spots, the tits are still there and the tubes (rubber stemmed as of yet) hold air very well.
Haven't taken a tire off to see the tubes... WAIT... The spare tube is in the shed. A G-U-2 G/R Crest Super Quality (blue stripe) that came with THIS car's spare parts.
Early 90's is when the previous owner bought this project and stuck it in a shed until now. Well, it's in a shed now too. :-)
Trying to nail down the time when the money was spent on this car. Between '73 and early 90's. I do have one other avenue to explore to help tell me when.
Thanks Royce!
Side note for Royce: There were 4,631 bodies built between your May '17 body and my July '17 body IF the manufacturer was the same. Same style number punching/spacing too.
Hap, did you catch Royce's body number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Those are probably better than ANYTHING you can buy new today to fit the same rims. I am still running several pre-New Zealand Firestone tires on my Ts. They will probably stay there till after I am gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

I have some 19" NZ tires that I bought around 1985 to put on my Model A--they are still hanging (laying actually) in the rafters--I'm afraid to look at them! But that might give you a bit of a time frame. I think when I bought them, the set ran me about $280 for all 5. I was going to repaint my wheels and mount them, but other things got in the way. My A is running on some other A wheels all repainted but not it's original wheels-I've got to paint them and get them back on the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

Wayne, thank you! Sometimes I figure about as much!
David, $280 then? Wow. Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:11 am:

Duey -- thanks for the heads up on the body numbers. I sent you a private message asking for additional details.

Respectfully requested,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Generally speaking, if the tires are stored indoors out of the sunlight, they will keep for many years. It's the UV that kills them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

John, very important notion I have been kicking around for 30 years about tires and I have some outdoors on all kinds of things. My '53 Galion motor grader being the worst worry as they are re-caps and the shed may not be here for it until spring or a year later...
Hap, I'll check to see if I can get that PM thru my email. :-)
Thank you guys!
Anyone up to speed on tire codes on these tires? I wish I had a buddy at Firestone but I don't and I'd wager they'd tell me to take a flying leap if I asked... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

Yeah, great Looking tires, but I never had to use a flap, until they came out. I liked the USA tires much better. Didn't need a flap for those, or for the old Monkey Ward tires either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Crap, never even thought of flaps Larry. Thank you for the thought. :-)
Hehehe, Monkey Wards (yes I know...Montgomery Wards-my brother used to say Monkey Wards!). I found a Coast-to-Coast tire on a '21 inch rim (for the TT) with a tube that holds air! The little details please me too.

Oh yes, I meant to ask about DATE codes on these tires, not TIRE codes. I gotta quit working so I can devote..... to more interesting things...

(Message edited by Duey_C on October 07, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration