Pushing it

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pushing it
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:35 am:

Dumb question maybe , but I need to know... I will be getting my "new" 21 touring car delivered in a few days, and it doesn't run, so I will be moving it around by pushing it. I will need a timer for the engine before it can be started. The questions... How is the right way for two people to push a T touring? Where do we lay hands on it to push it forward ? Backwards? I don't want to bend anything. How well will a 21 T roll? It will not have a driveshaft in it when it is delivered (Although a new driveshaft is included). Checking the hand brakes will be high on the to-do list. The car will be stored on my carport for a few days , until room can be made in the garage. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Without s driveshaft it should roll very easily. You should be able to move it shoving by the fenders without doing any harm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:53 am:

If the neutral is set correctly it will push easily with the hand lever (brake lever) in the vertical position. If you are not going uphill then the rear of the car is good for pushing forward and I have seen a lot of people using the radiator shell to push it backwards. just make sure that everything is solid. if you must pull from the front then use something like this

do not pull by the axle that may pull the socket from the oil pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Your mileage may vary -- but as a kid I pushed on the rear panel of our touring and it "oil canned" in. I have never had an issue with pushing by hand on the fenders. (Actually, I can still stand on the fenders -- but I am much more careful now than when I was little). And if your car is a little too hard to push using the fenders for some reason but still needs to be moved, you can grasp the spokes by hand an lean on them and it should move. If that doesn't work -- use skates/harbor freight moving dolly etc. see: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-movers-dolly-38970.html

By the way as a small kid (I still am the shortest guy in my office) I could move the T on level ground -- by pushing on the spokes/tires. If I got it out of the garage, Dad would take me for a ride. It was parked about 25 feet from the door. Looking back on it, I think it gave Dad a break from all my questions....and it used up a lot of a little boy's energy.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Even without a driveshaft, you're still pushing/pulling around 1200 lbs. of dead-weight. I'd be careful about using the fenders as contact point. They're flimsy, and the irons aren't much better. That's why my '13 has two rear fenders "tweaked upward", from guys pushing the car into a trailer via that method, prior to me buying the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Is that how you get sagging fenders back to the original elevation! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Thanks. I don't want to damage anything. I don't think I'll be pushing on the new fenders. They are around 425.00 each and I don't want to oil-can the body either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Tommy,

Fully inflated...60-65 PSI of air in the tires (they are 30 X 3 or 30 X 3 1/2 aren't they?) makes pushing a lot easier....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

I put mine on 4 wheel dollies then I grab it by the spare tire holder in the back. I've got a 26. I have also grabbed the crank (engaged) to move it side to side. The dollies make it real easy to move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

Guys,the tire is always best bet and spokes make a good leverage point.Dollies are nice too ,I just bought a set for the storage barn use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

If you have a smooth floor, the harbor freight 1500lbs wheel dollies work great. There are overkill weight wise but they roll real easy compared to the lighter weight ones in my opinion.

I have always thought that various parts of the body seemed flimsy. So instead of pushing or pulling on the body, I grab at the spokes near the tire end and pull one after another. You can also just grab the tire and push or pull on it to roll too. As mentioned, if the neutral is setup right, it is pretty easy to roll around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

Push it from the top of the tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

You have it right Hap about being careful where you push to move a T around! The back panels on T tourings cant handle any pushing when trying to move them around. The fenders don't take a lot of 'sitting on' going by the photographs that's sometimes posted.
I had some touring remains and after doing some initial sanding and noticing all the slightly pushed in places and dings I decided to buy a new back panel from Howells.
T's are pretty durable but not indestructible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

If on a level floor and not moving far, you can push the top of the tires. You will get more leverage that way. Just push the top of the tire in the direction you want to move (forward or backward) and turn the front wheels the direction you want to turn. If on a hill, be careful not to run over yourself! Without a driveshaft, it will be in freewheeling and should push very easily.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Tommy,
Sounds like a bit of work still ahead of you on this T, A removed drive shaft means you will be removing the rear end to re-install and being not the matching one for the car you will need to dismantle the rear end to set it up, a good time to go through the diff and make sure it has brass thrust washers in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

If you get the Harbor Freight dollies, take the casters apart and lubricate them properly. They come with almost no lubricant. A little bit of lithium grease and they roll even easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Buy the Fun Projects Driveline Spool. It has a built-in bearing and you don't need to worry about the clearance between the pinion and the ring gear. http://www.funprojects.com/products/2587e1.aspx

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration