Timer installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Timer installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

When I get my new 21 touring I will have to install a timer before I can hear it run. It looks like I will also have to have a special tool to install the timer? I am going to a local swap meet this Saturday, weather permitting. I will be looking for T parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Typical timers do not require a tool for installation, however, the timing cover plate does need to be centred and this does require a tool that slips into the timer groove ring. Do not buy the tool that supposedly centers via the camshaft hole in said plate.

Regards, Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Garnet is right. Only need a 9/16 wrench for the nut on the arm that holds it in place. If you don't have a timer atm, I really like the TW timer. I have 3 and so far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Tommy, the TW and Anderson timers are very nice. Also, I have had one of the new New Day timers on my coupe for a few hundred miles and I have had no issues with it and it is still in perfect condition. I prefer the New Day and TW timers over the Anderson because they are simpler and therefore are less likely to have any issues. Be very careful to bend the timer rod correctly so the plugs don't fire until the piston starts to go down on the power stroke when the spark lever is fully retarded.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration