OT, Last Australian built Ford.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT, Last Australian built Ford.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

After 91 years the last Australian Ford will roll of the production line in the Geelong plant today, Friday, 7th October 2016
A sad day for Australian Ford history!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

The last 20 Ford falcons are to roll off the line in the Broadmeadows plant, the last one which is a blue XR6 falcon will be put in the Ford museum along with the last Falcon ute and Ford Territory SUV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

A SAD day. Mostly due to high wages.
Nissan, Toyota, Leyland, Mitsubishi/Chrysler, Ford....all gone. Next year, GM too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Mostly due to the Australian Tall Poppy syndrome & of course consumerism that taught us that as long as I get a good deal stuff everybody else, don't worry about our long term requirements of jobs & jobs. Much of the blame to do with our lost manufacturing industry is our own fault, trust other countries are not so simple minded. We have a 25 T pickup built in Geelong & a 2013 Territory built at Broadmeadows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

It's not going to be long until the same thing happens here. Voters vote to get "free" benefits that are paid for by the fewer and fewer remaining workers. A sad day indeed, should be a wake up call for our electorate but few will notice and fewer will care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Some better times of Ford history, the 2,000,000th Ford to roll off the line and the 50th year of production of Ford Australia. 1975

That T now lives with me and has just rolled over 74,000miles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Truly sad. Our own country is on that same road. Like Royce said its all about what can I get for free from the government. Well it's not free . I pay that free bill every day working trying to run a business that the government is trying to get more from.
Sorry ! Don't get me started.
Liberals!!!!!! Grrrr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

End of an era....

While you cannot stop that event, you may be able to help make the Ford Australia Archives more accessible. It has been several years since I did any reading about the Ford Australia Archives, but several years ago they closed. But I believe the information is still in existence, but not available for public access. That may have changed but I believe that is what I last recall reading.

Perhaps some interested folks could work with the Ford of Australia to have the early part of the archives donated to an Australian university (Ford of Canada donated some of their archives to Windsor University). Or maybe form a non-profit to help digitize the information?

Ford probably would not want any negative information published. But if you focus on when Model Ts were produced and factual items like that, if should be very low threat to them.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Hap,
The old Ford Discovery Center in Geelong, which ceased to operate in 2012, was linked with Deakin University.
There may have been some collaboration between the two...who knows?
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

A very sad day indeed. I believe that every Government Department and Employee from the Prime Minister down to the local shire Ranger should be driving an Australian Manufactured vehicle and turn them over every 6-12 months.

Tariffs should have been imposed on some of the imports and protect our country's manufacturing base. It's happening everywhere and not just the auto industry and all of their sub suppliers. We made a great range of vehicles specifically designed for our conditions once we got away from the control of Detroit. I too would like to know about all of the records and history and who will be responsible for their management.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 03:48 am:

Over a hundred years ago, Henry Ford figured it out. Against the pleadings of his advisers, Henry raised the base pay to all his company's workers. He shortened the work day at the same time. He also using his own money bought and built facilities for health care for his workers AND their families. Henry Ford figured that he would hire and keep the best workers available. They would be kept healthy and able to work hard. And if Junior had a fever? Papa could work well not having to worry because Mama could take Junior to the clinic to see the Doctor.
Henry was a flawed man, who did make many mistakes. But he got a lot of it RIGHT!
No government made him do any of this. No Union forced him to do these changes. Henry knew it was the right move to make from a business standpoint. You pay better, get better workers. Produce more faster. And that is how he became one of the wealthiest men in the world. Many thousands of workers were well paid, and lived quite well along with their families. Many more thousands of people made a good living riding on the coat-tails of Henry Ford.

All over the world, businesses of all types should have followed that lead. But, somewhere, the lesson was lost. Excessive greed, game playing, the adversarial approach to everything. The foundation industries are mostly gone. Incompetence reigns, corruption is endemic.
It doesn't look good for our descendants.

So, go out and work on your model T, find joy in every day! And, occasionally, teach some of the lessons of history when the opportunity presents itself.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 08:19 am:

this says it! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Corporate greed figures in this somewhere!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

I don't know much about the government of Australia, but here in U.S.A. the small Fords will no longer be built in our country but in Mexico.

We keep on making "trade deals" with other countries which are good for the owners of companies who don't care where their product is manufactured. They go for the location where they can make the biggest profit when the item is sold.

Almost all trade deals seem to favor the workers in other countries and the company owners in U.S.A.

My solution would be to equalize the price of a product between countries. Our country would tax the item to bring the price equal to the same product sold in the U.S.A. That would seem to me to be a win win situation. The other countries could raise the price without losing sales because if they raise the price, our taxes would be lowered to make the price equal. It would also make more jobs in both countries and raise tax revenue here.

I'm too old to run for president, but maybe our candidates will come up with some fair type solution to the problem. Same possible solution for Australia.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Very sad. I love the Australian RWD V8 sedans, and wish more of them were available here!

Our family car is a Pontiac G8 GT (re-badged Holden Commodore). VERY nice cars! Too bad Ford never brought the Falcon to the USA to compete with the G8 and SS. I also wish we could have had the ute versions here as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Derek, you are one of the lucky ones. The reason there are not many more G8's is General Motors in the US would not allow Holden's to export more. The only time they really got behind the product was with the demise of the Ford Crown Victoria police car. I don't know what happened about this.
A recent US order for 1000 Commodores has meant a little more work ahead of the 2017 closure.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration