FedEx lost my new radiator. I'm stressing.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FedEx lost my new radiator. I'm stressing.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

Last Monday FedEx called me and advised me of the amount I had to pay to cover import duties, Goods & Services's Tax and other Government charges, for my new Brassworks radiator.
I was expecting the call and the charges. So, I paid it, and all was good at that time.
On Wednesday the truck arrived with a parcel that was obviously NOT a radiator and had my consignment notice attached to it, except that it came from the UK and was addressed to a Chap in Manly NSW. I live in Moruya NSW. Obviously I refused delivery and the driver took it back to the FedEx depot. To their credit, FedEx immediately launched an investigation. So now, and for 2 days, I've been stressing out about the location and condition of the Radiator. Price plus shipping plus duties and taxes, all up it owes me around AU$2,200.
I expect the chap in Manly will get his parcel OK, and I can only hope that whoever gets my radiator will do the same as me and return it unharmed.
I could really do with a Valium right now...LOL
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Wow Rob. I can not imagine and I too would very upset. I really hope Brassworks insured the radiator for shipment and at the worst you get all your money back. But I really hope it ultimately ends up in your hands safe and sound. Keep us informed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Thanks Chad,
I've had no news from FedEx today, so I phoned them just now and was told that the parcel that arrived here has been returned to their Sydney depot.....which I already knew from the tracking data on the website...DUH.
No news about the Radiator though. But I was also told that this happens from time to time and in nearly all cases works out OK. So, I feel less like a Valium now......but I'll be having a couple of Rum n Cokes tonight. Promise.
Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob patterson on October 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 02:02 am:

A friend of mine had a problem here in the US. He checked the tracking and the tracking showed that it had been delivered. Right away he got on the phone, at first they were relaxed and told him not to worry about it. When he explained that they may have mistakenly left 25 pounds of explosive black powder at a different house they were no longer relaxed. About 15 min later a truck showed up at his house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 03:03 am:

I am still waiting for some Antique Automobile magazines I bought about seven years ago. But they were lost by either Canadian or USA postal service. I never did get compensated for it, because each blamed the other. I was just glad that it wasn't anything really expensive, although there were a few special issues I really did want.
I do hope that you fare better than I did, and that FedEx resolves this quickly!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

In the 80's, not ten years after FedEx became a household word, they 'lost' a pair of extremely rare V8 manifolds, used on less than 1,000 produced cars. The manifolds were shipped from Portland, Maine to Houston, Texas. After much worry from me, and much tracking by FedEx, they were found in one of FedEx's terminals in Pennsylvania were they had laid untouched for six weeks before they were found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

OK, my "horror story" I won some piano rolls off ebay that were back east. Piano rolls qualify for a discounted rate as "Media Mail" so delivery is oftentimes slower than regular stuff. Well tracking showed it clean across the US in a few days, landing in the Richmond, CA sorting center and staying there for two weeks. Had to wait another week before they would trace it. LOST. Ebay refunded my purchase (it wasn't much $$, I was more interested in the songs I'd gotten). Three months later a box arrives from a Lost Mail center in South Carolina with half the rolls and some of them quite beat up. "Undeliverable as Addressed" Gee, the address was good enough to make it across the country. Oh Well. . . .
Sorry Rob, I know this doesn't lower your stress level! We're all pulling for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

PS. Read reviews online, the Richmond Sorting Center is known as the Black Hole, packages go in and never come out. Even the local postal workers know there is a problem down there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

That is $1663.00 plus change in US Dollars ....

Freighter JIm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Jim, its more than that. I made an error when I made my first post. Here's the accurate costings.

Radiator US$1,200,
Shipping US$430
Total US$1,630, = AU$2,150
Import duties and taxes etc; AU$337
Total cost for NO radiator AU$2,487 = US$1,885

Thanks for the sympathetic posts Gents, they're much appreciated.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Ouch! The shipping's bad enough, but then the import costs--for something they don't make over there! REally hoping your radiator find it's way to your door and intact!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Rob,
Off the top of my head I can't quote the price, but did you compare it with one supplied by Henry's T parts? Keith is the agent for brass works in Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

Frank,
Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Rob, I did my sums and figured I was better off buying from Henry's T and A parts. A big plus was having a local contact if there were problems, and there were.

I had heard of warranty problems with the US manufacturer and wanted to keep my purchase local. The filler neck as fitted would not allow the shell to be fitted. The filler neck would allow an original radiator cap to screw on just 1/2 a thread. The mount for the steady rod was way out of kilter.

I contacted both Henry's and the manufacturer, and the responses were decidedly different. Henry's checked other radiators in the same shipment and found the neck fitting to be a problem on another. He checked a number of originals using an original shell and found no problems. He reduced my purchase price by $50 to cover the cost of having an original filler neck re-fitted in the correct place.

Contrast this with the manufacturers response. They stated that the necks are positioned with an original shell before soldering them in place. Their shell must have a whopping great neck hole if they use it on every radiator they build. There was no comment on the other problems, and no offer of any compensation for the funds spent making corrections.

You have no need to fear the radiator being damaged. They do an exceptional job packing them in a carton filled with plastic bags inflated with expanding foam. These mould themselves to the shape of the radiator and afford maximum protection.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

I will admit that several months ago, when I did my cost comparisons, the brass radiators were US$1,100. I got the shipping costs estimate almost right, but forgetfully/stupidly, I didn't allow for import costs.
Should this thing be lost forever, then I'll source the next one from Henry's, if for no other reason, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks for the reassuring words on the safe packing.
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

I was hesitant to pay $885 for my radiator from Berg's, I got a bargain and a great radiator!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

As a Power Seller on eBay,, I know just enough about shipping claims to be classified as dumb. The shipping to you is the responsibility of the seller, in this case, Brass Works. They are the ones that must file a claim and, as the item was never received, it is their responsibility to ship you a replacement radiator at no cost to you, or refund your shipping and item purchase price.
The taxes and inport fees are a different story and I would think that EdEx will make you whole. If Brass Works files the claim and gets made whole by Fed/Ex, it will make it hard for Ed/Ex to deny your fees and taxes.

I would let Brass Works shoulder some of the stress and liability.

JMO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Rob,
Any news yet on the missing radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:18 am:

The latest is that its still missing and today I made a claim against FedEx.
Despite this they haven't given up hope of finding it.....and I hope they do. I know that my claim will be successful, but they wont cover the fees taxes and tarrifs that I had to pay to get it into the country......and I'm sure they'll find other fine print to reduce the payback even further.
Thanks for your concern.
I'll keep you posted.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:39 am:

My story is we built our dream home 25 miles out in the woods here in Va. I had ordered something, I can't recall now. We both worked an hour away, and that night we came home and our front yard was all torn up and rutted from large truck tires. The home was built up on a ridge and we had cleared areas around the house and put in a nice lawn. Anyway the package was on the front porch and there was a note with it, very nice but unsigned, telling us the driver had tried to turn around and had gotten stuck. He gave us instructions on filing a claim to get our yard fixed. I followed the instructions, emailed the address and waited. The next day I received a nasty email from a group of lawyers representing this company about my ''ALLEGED'' damage. Wanting time of day, witnesses, license number, driver's name and date of birth.....blah blah. I said the hell with it and fixed it myself. I had 2 turnarounds on the driveway, too. I guess I would have followed up but the note from the driver was sincere and courteous so I just fixed the damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Rob, my Brassworks radiator made it to Spain with a couple holes punched in the box but they didn't come close to the well packed goods.

I thought the 390 USD I paid for shipping and import fees was high but I see in Oz the tariffs are really outrageous.

I hope your radiator turns up in short order and in good condition!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 12:13 am:

I received the following email today.....

Dear Rob,
We regret to inform you that shipment has been deemed missing. We are unable to locate the shipment.
We are forwarding the claim request to our origin office in US and recommended claim for this shipment.
Shipper will be contacted by the local FedEx office on the claim request.
Kindly be advice that all claims for loss and damages will be handled with in accordance with the Conditions of Contract printed on the reverse side of the airway bill and the Standard Conditions of Carriage referred to therein with the shipper unless deemed otherwise by the sender. We seek your assistance to liaise with the sender for any replacement or reimbursement that you are entitled to.

Dear AU tax disputes department,
Kindly assist to refund the duty and tax paid for this shipment for AUD 337.18. Kindly assist to email consignee directly for this matter.

We certainly share your frustration in the incident. Our primary goal is to handle each package in a professional and expedient manner. Your experience with this shipment is neither typical nor an accurate reflection of the type of service that we wish to provide.
Kind Regards,

So I suppose that now I start the process of ordering another radiator.
I'll let you know how I get on
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 01:38 am:

:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:56 am:

Rob, Henry's is the way to go as long as you are not bound to use the same supplier/shipper.
The difference in price between my radiator and a flat tube brass one was US$401. The difference in your delivered price and mine was AUD$937, and mine was delivered to me in Gawler.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 03:33 am:

Thanks for the advice Allan.
You mention in your first post that you couldn't get the shell to fit. That'd be for a steel radiator I expect. The radiator I lost is a 1915 Brass repro.
You're correct in saying that it would be cheaper for me to order one through Henry's. After your first post, I spoke with them just last week and was quoted $1,900 plus freight from Victoria to here. He explained that he's a little reluctant to order Brassworks stuff as there is such a long lead time.
Thanks again,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 05:55 am:

Hi Rob,
What year radiator were you looking for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 05:57 am:

Unfortunately Rob, we are stuck with just one manufacturer of brass radiators, and they have a less than optimal attitude to customer service. I had no problems with the brass radiator I fitted on my 1915 tourer, but that was made by one of the previous owners of the business. The lead time is something you will have to work around. I can understand Henry's reluctance to order Brassworks stuff, and it may not be all to do with the lead time.

You never know, You might end up with two radiators!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

You'll be amused by this.
Today, the Radiator eventually showed up.
The packaging was battered and bruised but the contents are fine, I'm pleased to say.
You can tell a lot from the markings, stickers and graffiti on a parcel which indicate its quite possibly the most travelled (new) Brass radiator in the world.
You see, its been back to the USofA and then returned to Australia. Its travelled over 22,500 miles and been across the Pacific 3 times.
I feel better now.
Cheers,
Rob

Even tough this image is upright in my computer, I can't attach it here, upright. Sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

That mileage would have worn out a T. Good thing it traveled by air. Good to hear it finally arrived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

I am glad to hear it finally arrived, especially with no damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

That's good news Rob, I had a parcel go via Austria once before getting to Australia.
So ready for a test drive in a few weeks??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Glad to hear it finally showed up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Bonus! Glad it finally made it there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

Glad you got it! Around here a local UPS delivery truck made a delivery truck dropped off a package and then clipped a power line on the way out of the driveway. The customer lost his house as the downed wires started a fire. UPS said that they would pay for the loss.
Next time you have an issue with a delivery, be thankful that you still have a house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Glad you got it. When I got mine repaired I was very happy to learn the shop was only 2 hours away. I drove it in my daily car both ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:32 am:

Wow!! So that's where it's been all this time!
I once had a package travel all the way across the country to Sacramento, then get turned around and sent back--apparently someone in Sacramento mistook the return address for the shipping address!
Glad you got both shipments and in good condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 01:41 am:

Wonderful! Sometimes, things work out okay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 08:28 am:

WOW! 22,500 miles and it didn't use a drop of water or over heat!

OK then... let's not just stand there! Get it on the car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Glad to learn it showed up safe and sound Rob. Please post a photo when you have it safely mounted on your car where it can't go astray again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, October 28, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Good to hear that you finally got your expensive radiator and that it's in good shape. Now hope it fits.
Fedex should compensate you for 3 weeks of stress.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration