Advice for painting wooden express body.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Advice for painting wooden express body.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Creating a WWI light patrol vehicle and the entire car will be OD Green. My wife wants to treat the wooden body panels with a sanding sealer or clear coat prior to painting OD green so that, in another lifetime, if someone wanted to take the wood down to bare wood and stain it or leave it natural, it would be easier than trying to remove OD green from bare wood.

I'm headed to the paint shop tomorrow to discuss options on primer and paint, but they are an an automotive paint shop and may or may not know about sealing the wood to provide a barrier to the paint absorbing into the gran of the wood.

Any experience with this scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Robert I'm getting ready to seal the huckster that I have been building out of ash, hickory and maple. I am going to use 2 coats of Sikkens Cetol. I have used it on cedar siding as well as log homes, it lasts better than most exterior sealers [varnish, poly]. Also used on boats, and natural finished spokes [Don Booth had written about it in a post]. Sold at the local lumberyard up here. Jim Derocher

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration