Ring to groove Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ring to groove Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

What is the max gap on T new Aluminum pistons ? The black book tells .001-.002 is this for iron pistons,? the new rings i purchased have a .003 gap on new pistons,can i use them with this gap
Thank you for the help past and present
Lorenzo
[pic. is not a T piston ,just sample ]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:33 am:

You are at the maximum for a gas engine so still good to go, T's like the extra .001" on nearly every thing compared to modern specs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:45 am:

I with Frank. With a low speed engine like the T you will be okay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:35 am:

Lorenzo, are you talking piston ring end gap or side clearance as you pic shows. At first I was thinking you wanted end gap which is measured by putting the ring 1/3 to midway down a bore, squared up with a upside down piston, and measure the gap between the two ends (general rule of thumb is .003"-.005" per inch of bore).

But your pic shows the side clearance, which is measured as shown. Both are important measurements that should be taken, more so end gap in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Chad,ring side clearance to piston grooves as pic shows,the end gap - I got.015 top -.012 second--.010 on oil ring
Thanks again to all

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration