TT Frame Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT Frame Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Has anyone lightened a TT frame? I'm tempted to install holes down the side rails.

Figured I would ask if anyone has already done this and if so - how did it play out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Uh why? It is already very flexable and holes may allow cracks in stress areas. I don't see how 5 or 10 pounds of shavings from holes is going to help anything in the long term.
Now if we were trying to trim .0003 seconds off our time at the drag strip I could understand!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:16 am:

I agree with Mack completely. The little weight removed is not worth the risk of cracks.

What are you trying to achieve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:27 am:

If you're building a speedster with a TT frame, then driling it lighter would make sense. Not if you still have it as a truck :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Large diameter holes should take off a ton of weight. No drag strip just power/weight as usual!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Roger gets it - no one has done this before?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

A speedster built with truck parts reminds me of a quote by Ettore Bugatti referring to Bentley racing cars: " Mr. Bentley builds the world's fastest trucks".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Lafrance Speedster

Tell me that isnt cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

At risk of sounding like a smart ass, just how does one 'install' holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

If your BMI is 25 or more, do something healthy and start with yourself. Not by drilling holes, however. :-)

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Tim, if you would have an economical way of getting it, Im pretty sure there is a good size brass era car frame in a friends frame pile.It came out of my frame pile. No springs. Has sub frame to mount engine, originally had pan under engine. Forget what it is. In Indiana

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Tim,

That is definitely VERY COOL speedster. However, from the look of it, weight was not a big consideration. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

Fire truck conversion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

It looks like an American LaFrance Fire truck conversion, but I'm not certain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

That's what I was thinking. I have mixed feelings about those. Provided a good complete fire truck was not destroyed no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

American LaFrance firetruck conversion in the pic - yes.

Jim, that is a very generous offer but as it stands now I only have TT wheels to work with. If I had a set of A wheels and tires all set to go I would be using T car running gear for the gearing / weight.

If I go with a car frame I will need to lengthen it and adding more than one foot to a car frame worries me.

If I use the truck running gear I still need to lengthen frame at least a foot (aux tranny).

All depends on what parts I can scrounge and I'm currently on a "barter only" budget per the Mrs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

I wouldn't drill lightening holes unless the frame is boxed or doubled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

One of Dad's friends in Saginaw Michigan years ago, Martin Tanner, built some very successful race cars. He drilled or cut round holes in EVERYTHING. It was before my time, but I have seen pictures of his cars, and he took it to the extreme. I would say on a lightweight speedster, you aren't risking anything. https://www.google.com/search?q=tanner+special+race+car&biw=1366&bih=638&source= lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8v-PjwMnPAhXJ34MKHf23CM8Q_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=mart in+tanner+special+race+car&imgrc=GVZr6ezAQHTfCM%3A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

A lot of race cars used modified TT frame rails. And TT axle shafts. Anybody interested, look up Delagrange Hisso. That car has TT axles.I have sat in that car on several occasions. Would not fit now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Considering that TT rear wheels are made of near-unobtainium, you will likely be able to trade them for some car wheels and other stuff.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration