Does anybody have a rear wheel puller, Long Island area?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Does anybody have a rear wheel puller, Long Island area?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Hi All,
My father and I have been restoring a 1915 Touring. I already obtained some very good advice from this forum, and we almost have the car the way we want it! We planned on bringing all 4 wheels to Hershey tomorrow (saturday) to drop them off with Calmer wheel restoration. We were able to get one of the rear wheels loose by loosening the nut a bit and driving the car but the other wheel won't come loose. We also tried with a generic puller. There is no way we could order the correct puller and get it in time. Would any body around the Long Island area be so kind to lend us the correct puller? I would pick it up and bring it back ASAP. I'm located in Frankln Square, so anything with in an hour drive would be worth while for us.

Thank you!

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Some drift here:

Instead of spending money having those wheels re-spoked, have you considered getting the correct 30 x 3 and 30 x 3.5 wheels for the car? (If your car is Canadian manufacture, then it would be 30 x 3.5 all around.)

In my opinion, it would substantially improve the looks of your car.

They would be the same wheels that are on my father's 1917 touring below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Yes, we considered it but the de-mountables seem much more practical incase of a flat. Now you got me thinking though, those do look very nice..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Non-original demountables as Erik suggests:

(But the color is factory supplied).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Thank you for the input. The proper wheels definitely look better but the car is not safely drivable right now, the spokes are clicking and the wood looks questionable. I just did another search for the correct wheels, I'm sure we could search a little harder but when ever we do search for wheels it seems like the correct 30x3 and 30x3.5's sell very quick when available. On a certain day in August there were a set posted around 5pm and sold by 6:15! Heh. We figured for under $800 getting the wheels we have re-done so we safely drive is the best option. Maybe in the future we'll find the correct wheels and sell these to a newer T owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Forgot to mention If anybody close by happens to have the puller, I'll leave a deposit, whatever it takes ;-) Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

If you prefer demountable rims, consider obtaining and/or rebuilding a set of 30 x 3.5 demountables which would look much better on your car instead of spending money rebuilding the 21" wheels with balloon tires.

Look at this example - Don Lang is selling a touring with 30 x 3.5 demountables (23" wheels and clincher tires with a skinnier width). Much better than the big balloon tires on 21" wheels with split rims.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPAyWXPa7wMhAbhe8KGhrtW0_yfM-pKeBX5aQdv7EQ5 Q5TmbgieFs1RkY7hGCFBKw?key=Y3AwMmRTeWhiX2szTlpjTTJSU0p3dGg3U1FUU19R

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration