Model 'A' exhaust manifold massage to fit a 'T'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model 'A' exhaust manifold massage to fit a 'T'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Gents,
What are the modifications required to a Model A exhaust manifold in order for it to fit a Model T?
My thanks in anticipation of your good advice.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

A file.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

You can see one here: http://tfoye.com/custom%20car%20work.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Perhaps I didn't ask the question clearly enough.

What are the changes that I will need to make to a model A manifold in order for it to fit a Model 'T' engine?
Do I need to change the ports in any way? or do they line up OK?
Do I need to change the mounting points?
What about gaskets?....will T gaskets do the job?
Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob patterson on October 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

I think I used A gaskets. I have a modded A exhaust here somewhere (I think). I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Rob,

The bolts and ports do not line up quite right. The 1 and 4 are out further on the A manifold and can make for exhaust leaks. I used the composite T gaskets and got things to work fine on a 26 block. All I needed to do to the manifold was use a rat tail file on the manifold to get the bolts to fit. This worked on my block but it seems some T blocks tend to curve around to the front a little sooner and gaskets won't seal. There is/was a header/adapter plate available that could be used to marry the A manifold to a T or build up your own headers if you felt the urge. That plate ensures full gasket coverage around the ports on both block and manifold. Snyder's shows the adapter for $63.50 at http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/manifold-adapter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Nelson on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

The Model B exhaust manifold works good as it exits the same as a Model T manifold. See the picture in Tim's file.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

I think you need the C exhaust manifold as it flows back the same as the T. The A exhaust manifold bends around and flows straight down. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

I don't think so Steve. If i remember the model A is straight down or 90 deg and i think the model B is about the same angle as a model T?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

I recently bought a '17 that has A manifolds on it. I can't wait to remove them, and put the correct manifolds and carburetion on it! BTW, it has an A intake manifold on it too. What makes people do this stuff? If you want a Model A, why not buy one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Back when the Model A was developed Ford picked up more HP by changing manifolds and carb. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Thanks for the info Gents,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

The Model B and C exhaust manifolds exit almost, if not exactly, the same angle. The only problem with using one is the firewall is positioned differently on different body styles. I have a B manifold in a 26 Four Door and it exits too close to the firewall and the to the floorboards for my comfort. To clear the firewall and all the other things under the car, plus reduce the pipe size from 1 3/4 down to 1 1/2, I had to do quite a bit of cutting and gas welding to make a pipe fit the outlet. It looks like crap and it has to turn so many directions in a 6" length of pipe, that I don't think you could make a pipe fit with a pipe bender. I have a 1 3/4" exhaust pipe that was especially bent for use with a Model A manifold. It has only one gentle 90 degree bend. I'm going to switch my B out for an A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

I used a model B or C exhaust with a model A intake manifold on one of the engines I built. Using a B or C intake has the flange angled which I did not like. Had the manifolds re-surfaced flat and used model A copper clad gaskets. The set up required shorter mounting studs. Had the local muffler shop make a custom exhaust pipe to angle around the hogs head. It turned out to be a neat set up. I did not use an adapter plate as none were available at the time. Also used a rat tail file to line up the mounting holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Model B lines up line the stock exhaust.

Larry Smith - I'll trade you a complete vaporizer setup for your A parts if you want it. I could come up with a Holley G and manifolds as well if you are picky and need to match the year.

Rob Patterson - here is a pic of an A manifold that I had on a T - note the mounting notches.

A manifold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Tim,That is what i call a heater manifold.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Yes Kenneth, yes it is.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration