Diy upholstery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Diy upholstery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

My "new" 21 touring comes with all new seat springs and upholstery. The front bottom and maybe the rear bottom is already covered. Neither seat back is done. The new panels for the doors and quarters are also included. Anybody on here , that is not a professional upholsterer, do your own seats?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Many have and posted pics. Hopefully they'll chime in soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

I Googled "21 T touring seat upholstery MTFCA" and this is the first of many links that came up.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/472630.html?1409539986

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

I do mine. I haven't seen kits that please me, so I took an upholstery class, and learned how to do it. I enjoy the work, and my only regret is I didn't learn how to do it in my '20s. I think it could have been a rewarding occupation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

My dad MADE and installed all the upholstery on his '17 touring years ago as well as the interior door panels, top and top boot. Absolutely no kits on his car. He used the original upholstery as a pattern. He purchased the material and did the sewing himself. Last spring, he re-did the door panels for the second time. With the exception of the cushion buttons which are leatherette covered instead of painted black metal, he made every effort to be authentic. (He still has the original black, painted buttons.)

More recently, he also made and installed the upholstery himself on his 1900 Waverley Electric using original upholstery for patterns. Diamond and square tufted leather stuffed with horsehair with a layer of cotton between the leather and horsehair, just like the original.

He is entirely self-taught and, in my opinion, quite talented in doing upholstery.

See photos.

1917 touring

1900 Waverley Electric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Glad to see this post just as I was sharing my attempt, I have done several cars in the past, never a T, it does take time and some thought and end results are nearly always the same "I could do this better!" fifty years later I still feel the same so I carry on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

I forgot to add, nice work, that is one of the real beauties of an open car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration