Old receipts- prices then and now

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old receipts- prices then and now
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

I found a folder of receipts from when I first started on my T in 92. In 24 years everything has doubled. A set of spindle bolts with brass oilers were $27.95. Now-$62.95. A rebuilt mag coil ring $119.95 now $219.19. A 30 by 3 1/2 tire at Pate in 93- $65 now a comparable tire $170. Today's prices from Langs website. June 6, 1992 I bought a complete 1914 motor and transmission for $500. It took me until March 20, 1993 to get it to run. By May 2nd a 2 piece valve broke and the Babbitt was knocked out of 2 rods. June 6 I tore it down and had it bored etc. On June 30th I had it up and running again. I guess when I was 15 I wrote everything down. I about wore out my mama's mower mowing yards to make money and my dad hauled me all over to pick stuff up. I got 90 percent of the car, used parts anyway, via UPS from Mr W.L. Arnett in Aurora, Colorado. I have his address forever etched in my memory. Just thought that was interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

Corey, that is very interesting. But, there has been a substantial improvement in many report parts since then, without price increases of hundreds of percentage points. I have heard tire and tube quality has gone down on the driver tires. Seems one can't win.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

I've still got that tire I bought in 93 and it's not cracked near as bad as one I bought about 6 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

My wife and I are coming up on 43 years and I still have my receipt for her engagement and wedding rings. You never know when you might need to get a refund. :-)

Seriously, if I had known 43 years ago what I know now I would have purchased as many of those useless diamonds as I could get my hands on. Her set is probably now worth at least 25 times what I paid.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration