Straighten a 14T front wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Straighten a 14T front wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Scholz on Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

My front wheel is bent "in" approx 1/4", and it causes an extreme wobble, the faster I travel. I haven't read much
about this problem, but I did hear something a while back, that some sort of press is required. Does anyone know of
someone who fixes wheels? thanx, George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 12:03 am:

1/4" run out is not bad for a Model T wheel, in my opinion.

If you are experiencing shimmying while driving, it may be a front end problem - camber, caster, toe-in, loose bearings, worn perch bushings, worn spring bushings, worn spindle bushings, worn spindles, bent wishbone, etc.

If you are really concerned about wheel run out, wood felloe wheels can be trued or fine tuned as described in Dyke's and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia. My father and I have performed this procedure in the past.

Note: the rims must be tight, the wheels must have good wood and no loose rivets.

With the tire off, jack up the car, rotate the wheel and figure out where the run-in and/or run out is by using a ruler and some type of reference on the floor such as a wood block. When you figure out where the run out is, lower the car so the rim rests on the floor (so the weight of the car holds the rim against the floor). Using a large hammer and a piece of hard wood, tap (hammer) the felloe in or out as needed - the weight of the car will hold the rim stationary against the floor and the felloe should move slightly as you tap/hammer it. I hope what I've described makes sense.

(There is an illustration that I could post but I can't find it and I need to get to bed.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

It has been my experience that a wobble is caused by something in the steering loose rather than a 1/4" wheel. Check the spindle arms, the tie rod ends' the radius rod ball joint, the drag link ends, the pitman arm or the bushings in the steering column, or wheel bearings.

This is what happens. You hit a bump or something which starts the wheels moving and because of the slack in the system, it is like dribbling a basketball, it just keeps bouncing back and forth. Finally you come to a stop and start out again and it goes along smoothly until something starts it bouncing again.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Did you recently lubricate the king pins and tie rod ends? That will cause a worn front end to shimmy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Scholz on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

I recently mounted a spindle in my bench vise, and put the wheel on it and then spin it. After locating the top of the bend spot, it is visible, (while spinning the wheel) that the bend starts about 30 degrees either way, back from the high spot.

I really don't have wobble or shimmy, but I do have a pounding feeling when travelling at higler speeds, as in about 25-30+ mph.

Yesterday I visited an Amish buggy wheel repair shop, and the gentleman was hesitant about attempting straightening of the rim because he never did anything like that on a car wheel, and was afraid he might ruin the rim. He showed me how he does simular repairs on a buggy wheel, but that's a whole different ball game. Mainly because the automobile turns much faster than the buggy wheel.

Tomorrow I'm off to see an excellent car, truck, and heavy equipment mechanic to find out what he recommends,
stay tuned . . . more later . . .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration