Amusing Hershey Story

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Amusing Hershey Story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 11:55 am:

I've been selling at Hershey for many years. There are always amusing stories. I want to share this years funny story. I had a pair of NOS TT Running boards for sale. Now these running boards are not reproduced. If you're restoring a show truck, you really need them. Repro car running boards go for $160. I figured a fair price for the TT running boards were $250, and sold a set last year for that amount. A guy asks what I want for them, I said $250, he pulls out his wallet and first hands me a 5 dollar bill. I'm waiting for the rest, as he is looking at me strangely. All of a sudden I realized he thought I met 2.50. I told him 250 dollars, he stood there dumbfounded and then reached for his 5 dollar bill and left.

My wife's story: I had a 27 nickel plated brass radiator shell. Very nice original condition. I had 100.00 on it. A man asked my wife if she would take 50.00 for it. She said no, it's a very nice brass one, no dents or cracks. He then told her it wasn't brass, and they are all over the place for 45.00-90.00. She told him he should have bought the 45.00 one then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

People are so accustom to buying from the Big Box Stores at low prices that they have no idea the value of original or hand crafted parts. As for why the fellow did not buy the $45.00 shell. It was to expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

Here is mine. Thursday afternoon a golf cart came to a quick stop in front of my spaces, two guys jumped out and started looking at my Ford Stockist sign. One said he had never seen one like that. I spoke up and told him I would not sell it to him, but if he sent Danielle I might thing about it, but he sent Frank there is no way. His reply was "I know what you mean, I have been dealing with him for 30 years." They then jumped back on their cart and were gone. But I did get to say "Not for sale" to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Dan K. I don't suppose at that price, the '27 shell made the trip home?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

Dan, the very same thing happened to me back in the 1970's. I had removed five very nicely painted Disteel wheels, hubs, and Disteel spare tire carrier from a 1916 touring that I had bought and put the original spoke wheels on it. I guy heard that they were for sale and called. I told him the price was $100.00. I meant for all, but he thought it was for each wheel, hub, and spare tire carrier. He handed me $500.00. I was shocked but didn't have the heart to turn down the offer. Anyway, for $500.00, he got a great deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

This year at Hershey, I saved over $3,000.00.

I stayed home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Ed, yes it did find a new home. It was one of the best Hershey's weather wise. Our 68 Ford Arrow motor home turned 100,000 miles on the way there and ran perfect once again. We only use it for Hershey so it sits the rest of the year. It always starts right up the week before and I put about 40 miles on it before heading to Hershey. We have been to Hershey 46 times and the camper has been there 36 times. Every year a few people offer to buy it.

This is a picture of the camper from a prior year Hershey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John From Oregon on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 10:15 am:

Regarding the fantastic Ford camper, I just have to ask.

Is the bucket taking some of the weight off of the springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

John, no, those buckets strong, but there is a limit LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:14 am:

My ex once had a very nice 69 Cutlass, special ordered by an Olds salesman as his personal
car. 455 and 4-speed, .... pretty much all the 442 gear, but with the more plush Cutlass Supreme
interior and trim.

One item it did not have was a seeker radio with 8-track. At some point I was in a wrecking yard
and spied an Olds 98 and peered inside. It had what appeared to be exactly that, and a direct
swap in on the Cutlass. I bought it for $5 with the harness, took it home and installed it, but it
needed some internal work to make it function. I was busy, and the wife said she did not care
about no stupid seeker radio and 8-track, and asked that I put the working radio back in. So I
did. The fancy radio going on a shelf in the shop and basically getting forgotten.

A few years passed and Widdo Bwudder asked if I'd like to share a swap meet space (can't
remember which swap meet) and so I cleaned out a bunch of dead weight in the shop and took
a load. In the pile was that radio, along with about a dozen other radios of various years and
makes. Didn't get a single bite on the Olds radio all Saturday, and well into Sunday a sneaky
sort came up and asked "How much for the Olds radio ?" .... I didn't have it priced.

I said "You know what that fits, don't you ?"

"Yeah, I've been looking for years .... " he replied.

"Well, I'm fair, .... make me an offer you are comfortable with. It needs to be in a car and not
on my shelf" I said.

He gave me that painful, puppy dog, lowball offer look and said "Would you take a thousand ?"

Not one to miss a moment like this, I stared off into space as if actually doing some internal
debate, and then, in my best conciliatory tone, said "Yeah, ..... I guess I could do that."

Few times have I ever seen someone get money out of their pocket so fast, and he was off like
a shot to add that final "perfection" piece to his beloved car. Or maybe he knew something I
didn't, and turned around and sold it ten minutes later for $2500 ???

=============================

On another wrecking yard trip, I found a full accessory bumper guard kid for a 1955 Chevy.
I was restoring a 1960 Buick at the time, and piled up a mountain of doors and hoods and
wheels and interior parts, just because the guy had a bunch of dry desert 60 Buicks. I paid
for the stuff and we were out loading it all into the truck in a way that it wouldn't get hurt in
transit, and the owner drifts out to chat us up some more and spots that bumper guard kit in
the bed. He got all excited and asked if I'd sell it. Widdo and I look at each other and suppress
the laughter, as he explains that he has a 55 Nomad in one of his buildings and has been looking
forever for one of those bumper guard kits.

As I only bought it as a desirable swap meet sale item, I told him so, and he offered to give me
all the money I had just given him for ALL the parts back in exchange for the kit that came in
the pile !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:16 am:

My little Hershey story may be not too amusing, but it's certainly rare. I bought an unusual hand cranked siren, (the reason for doing so still escapes me), that I haggled down to $190. I handed two $100 bills to the seller. He handed back two tens in change. I handed back one of the tens to correct his mistake. He said, "never mind, you can keep it". Wow thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:45 am:

It's that the siren the guy wanted about $375 for?
He was in a motor home with some signs and such right next to the car corral?
I bought a flashlight holder and he had some flashlights and I let him try one in it to see if it would fit, well, the flashlight had black paint on it and he said it scratched it and he threw the flashlight down and said he didn't want it and that it was ruined and he was just trying to help me out. Of course I am standing there listening to him carry on about how that flashlight just came out of the box and was new. He said he was asking 10 bucks for it and now it isn't worth anything. I paid him for it anyway and then I noticed it didn't have a lens over the bulb.
He has a siren but he wouldn't try it out because he said he didn't want to wear it out...
I don't know what to tell ya...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Robbie,

No, it wasn't that one. This one was in the small Red field, between the old football stadium and Hershey Park Drive.

It's like the one in the lower right corner of the ad. As the ad states, "it fills a long felt want"... I guess.:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration