Headliner/ upholstery install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Headliner/ upholstery install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

I hope this works, trying to post picture of the top frame that is not flush with the side walls, no 90 deg. from headliner to sides, I have searched all there is of headliner install and there are no pictures of any frame like this, it is new wood ,I did not do the wood.top frame on coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Here is my 24 fordor right rear corner. I dont have such a large offset. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Here is my 24 fordor right rear corner. I dont have such a large offset. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Sorry for the double post. The pics were right side up when I viewed them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Thanks John, I am pretty sure my top wood is not from any vendor, home made is my thought, I'll have to give this a long look if I can cut it back flush with the side walls without completely reworking the whole thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Maybe I am missing the point but doesn't the headliner fit under the top piece. If that is the case there is no reason to trim it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Richard I have looked at this for months before now and I have been confused since the start, I have a few of the original pieces that had been saved, and if you notice the curved corner in my picture there is two pieces,the top is made wider (to wide), the curved piece below is the right width that the side panel attaches to. I suppose who ever made the top didn't know or care or thought they had a better idea not thinking of upholstery. there is no way I could get a nice square corner like you have. There are many good pictures of interiors from over several years of finished car interior but not of the wood alone. Trimming the wood will not be a big deal other than the saw dust mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

Thomas, I have a 24 T Coupe which is essentially a 25 model. Richarad E's pic of the 25 Tudor interior has the same height from the top metal trim piece to the headliner as a Coupe. I do remember this from my Coupe restoration. Cant remember exactly what it was but it was around 1 1/4" or so. The Coupe's and the Tudors are the same car other than the added back seat in the Tudor.

I do believe that Richard is right about the headliner location. It sits on the ledge just over the windows which is about 1 1/4" high.

Question: Are there slots cut into the top framework for the headliner slats to fit across the top? There should be 4 to 6 of them.

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Thomas- the 1 1/4" or so I'm referring to is the height of the side window metal trim to the headliner in Richards car thats shown in the pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

I will try to post more pictures tomorrow, I may have that part figured out! I may be missing the obvious (I can do that) John I'm going to look at what you are saying, Yes the top most wood is slotted for the slats, there are three in my coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

I will try to post more pictures tomorrow, I may have that part figured out! I may be missing the obvious (I can do that) John I'm going to look at what you are saying, Yes the top most wood is slotted for the slats, there are three in my coupe. I had to stop for supper and I couldn't quit thinking about this so I guess I have to go back down to the shop and look, I think John turned the light on for me, I was thinking the headliner had to be as high as the bottom of the slats but on some cars the tabs were not sewn on the headliner and tacked to the slats but just to the perimeter. John your picture is showing the lower corner,mine is just like your picture at the bottom.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration