Muncie gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Muncie gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

I'm disappointed to see that these three gears are all one piece. I think I'm going to cut off the bad one and weld on a replacement. Twelve teeth, pitch six, two inch pitch diameter. $72 from Boston gear.All one piece

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

I have the same problem. You can't really find replacements. I'm building mine up with a TIG welder and re- grinding them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Good Idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Except I am thinking the pitch is 6-8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Layden, educate me about this pitch thing. Boston gear in their catalog only uses one number for pitch, and if you want twelve teeth on a two inch gear, they specify a pitch of six,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

I am not a machinist so maybe someone will correct me but here goes. The setup when cutting the teeth is for 6 pitch, this makes the # of teeth and pitch diameter ( shaft c/c distance too) same as a regular 6 pitch gear set. The cutter used however is an 8 pitch cutter. Thus the teeth themselves are shorter and wider at their base. Stronger is the objective.
They will not mesh with regular 6 pitch so the matching teeth on the mating gear(s) must be done the same way.
Common on transmission gears of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

I am thinking, call Dan McEachern, he, I think, can make the whole cluster, better then what you can try to repair what you have.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:01 am:

The teeth on these transmissions, Warford included, are called *stub tooth*....but still 6 pitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 09:51 am:

Boston's catalog lists 14 degree gears and 20 degree gears. Are "stub tooth" gears the same as 20 degree gears?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 11:05 am:

It's easy for me to say because I'm not paying the bill, but I'd bite the bullet and have one made. I might even see if I could negotiate a lower per piece price if I ordered two, three, or even four. I would then see if I could sell the extras at a little profit to offset the initial cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Herm, I believe this gear was done originally with a shaper because a regular milling machine cutter will not reach back into the corner. Could be repaired by making just the small gear and mating to the other 2. I doubt anyone today would make this all one piece.
John, Blue prints from the time state these are 6-8 but I am sure that you are correct in that they were called "stub tooth" in commom verbage.
Lester, No, 14 and 20 degree gears are both tall, not "stub tooth".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

If one can find the correct gears (tooth profile) that will match the engaging gears, then they could be stacked on a common shaft like Warford does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

John C, I just 8 weeks ago to this same gear to a gear maker in Denver. I got a quote and for 1 gear 1200 if I could get an order of 12 I can get the price down to half that. I have 6 trans and need e gears myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

Here is some info on Stub Gear Teeth from Machinery's Handbook 16th edition, p654-655.

If you are going to get some made then your gear builder will need the original gear so he can make the correct tooth form,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

That gear is made on a Gear Shaper. I have two machines. I would make them if I could get an order for 12 or so. I use 8620 material and have them case harden. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

If anyone is going to repair these cluster gears, I have one that I also would like to include in the total mix of things. Tom

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration