Still need running board & step plate advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Still need running board & step plate advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Have holes 'pre-Marv' drilled in running boards for step plates which appear wider (maybe 1/4" each, & about 10 5/16" apart c/c), than able to find through vendors. Any suggestions, please?
Also, outside rear corner of passenger side running board has an obvious bend of about 3/8" where attaching to the fender. Appreciate any advice so I don't end up warping or wrecking? Photos attached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Marve, your holes are a fairly easy fix. I would clamp my piece of 1/4" thick copper under the hole as a heat sink, and mig weld the hole closed. This will not cause any warpage problems.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Looks like someone tried to jack the car up using the running board. Does the bend extend all the way across? That's some tough metal but the bend can be reversed easily if you have a shop press. Put spacers under the RB about 4" on each side of the apex and press a little at a time. Press on the flange areas first--Not the face. The curve in the face should flaten as the flanges are straightened.

(Message edited by kskopsky on October 09, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 11:35 am:

-Seth- The R-B inside edge (mating to the splash apron) is straight. Suspect as if some 350 pound passenger used the outside back corner to step on. The 'bend' is rear of the support bracket, starting about 10" from the end. Am wanting to straighten and line up before refinishing, with searching for the best way to make it 'stay'....

-Allen- Not being a purist, feeling the step plates aren't 'that bad of an idea', I'm considering whether I should just make them?? Don't believe it would be too difficult by using two 1/8" layers of aluminum plate. Insert and 'toe plate' too, since I'm not finding vendor availability. They wouldn't be difficult to polish, either. Compounding things is that I don't have MIG/TIG, but then the weld shop is only a mile or so away.
Thanks, Guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Sorry, "Stephen"! I need to pay more attention!!
Marv

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration