Stewart Speedometer Swivel Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stewart Speedometer Swivel Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Ok, so I went to Hershey and came back with a very nice, tight Stewart swivel. Only problem is that it rotates the wrong direction ... and instead of of being 2 1/2 :1 it appears to be 8 1/2:1. Anyone know what this would be for?

The cable side of the body is cast with a number 1802 and the drive gear housing is marked 1801. Also has a large 1965 stamped on the drive gear housing. Traces of gold paint.

If anyone needs this one I would gladly trade for the one I need ... to use with a model 160 Stewart speedometer head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Mark, I would not be in a hurry to trade away your swivel. Good pot metal housings are much scarcer than good steel internals. Hang on to what you have and hope to get a 2.5:1 one with buggered pot metal bits. Most are interchangeable within the housings.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:21 am:

Mark--get with Mr. Furstnow. He will fix you up with lots of info on your speedo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 08:07 am:

I did realize that the one I currently have on my T is loose in the housing rather than the gears. So, this housing could be a great upgrade.

I have to admit that even with Russ's manual I could never figure out how to take the one on my car apart to clean. The ones with the nut on one end are easy ... but the ones without the nut are a mystery and I don't want to force anything for fear of cracking the pot metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 10:53 am:

It pays to know your numbers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Chevrolet used this on the left front wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Thanks Layden. I wondered what the 1802 piece I have sitting on my desk fit. (The cable end of the housing)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

The 1801 and 1802 are casting numbers for those pieces. It is the 1965 stamped number that shows what gears were installed inside.
T Ford used 1913 gears, 2 1/2 to 1 right.
Russ's book is great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

The Stewart RHD swivel "1913" is the one you want. However, an easy way to tell RHD from LHD swivels is to extend the drives away from each other as this picture. When twisting one end, both ends of RHD's will turn in the same direction and LHD's will turn in opposite directions.

The swivels are also dated. This one is dated "Q-3" which is March 1923. The letters are the year beginning with "B" for 1910 and the numbers are the month. Stewart didn't use "i" or "o" for any year, with "Z" being 1932.

Get Russ's book. The 1965 fits a Paige too.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration