Aluminum hood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Aluminum hood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 01:47 am:

I saw an aluminum hood for sale today. It obviously did not fit my '21 touring. I'm thinking 1915-16 models. It was a little rough, but cheap. Are they rare, should I go back and get it for reselling or trading? What would it be worth, in rough condition?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 02:40 am:

Are you sure it was for a Ford? "09 through '14 T hoods were flat panels and no louvers. '15 hoods were aluminum, flat panels, but had louvers on the back half of the lower side panels. A '16 hood looks like a '15 hood (panels and louvers) except that it is made out of steel.

Lots of other cars used aluminum hoods, as well as after-market sellers and speedster kits.
Without seeing good pictures of it, it would be difficult to estimate what it could be worth. But I paid $20 at a swap meet a few years ago for an original aluminum '15 hood in fair condition. I was glad to get it for that, and may well use it after some minor repair work. Well made brass era T hoods are readily available for a reasonable price. Many people prefer to use them because they look perfect with very little effort.
Good luck! Maybe you will wind up with a brass T????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:15 am:

Didn't the 11 Openrunabout and torpedoes have aluminum hoods? No louvers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Richard - early 1909 hoods were steel, but after that through 1915 all were aluminum. http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#hood1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Before I order a new Rootlieb hood, I'm going to send him a pair of original cast steel handles. As I recall, his are aluminum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration