Thrust pin diameter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Thrust pin diameter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 10:33 am:

I am replacing the thrust washers in my '23, and the pins in the housing are different diameters. I thought that they should both be the same .280 as supplied by the vendors. The right side housing has a .280 pin in the back and a .213 diameter pin in the front. The left side housing has a .280 pin in the front and the .213 pin in the back. Should I make new pins to fit the holes or should I drill the housing? What size drill bit would I use to enlarge the hole? Maybe a "K" drill size?
Thanks,
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Pictures of the pins.

pin
pin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

The only difference in thrust plate pins I was aware of was prior to about '18 they used a stepped pin, bigger in the housing. I guess you'll just have to drill out the smaller hole, for a push fit. K should be close, without looking it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

mine had different size pins, the pins I ordered from a vendor were mostly too small. I was able to send the old ones to a guy in Texas and he made me some of various sizes and I used the ones that fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

When I looked at it in the daylight there was another piece in the hole. Someone in the past 93 years made thrust pins out of 2 pieces. I just quit drilling, tapping and pulling too early. :-) The new parts from Snyder's showed up today and the pins fit perfectly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration