Bronze thrust bearings for the rear end

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bronze thrust bearings for the rear end
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

I've just taken the rear end apart of my 1921 Pick-up. It is my firm believe that it have not been taken apart since approx. 1970. To my surprise I found bronze or brass thrust bearings in it and not babbit as I expected.
Have these bronze or brass thrust bearings been made since then?
Or have somebody later had the rear end apart?

(note my "Jelf fingers")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Michael
Bronze rings were certainly available in the '70's. Brass would be a very poor choice!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

They actually have been available since before the 1920s. They were commonly available in the '60s and '70s. The first time I put a set into a T was right about 1971. And every model T I have had since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

They were also available in the T era aftermarket. Even then the stock thrust washers created problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Some earlier ones have grooves that can actually pump the lube out of the differential down the axles. The above seem to be oddly cut and suspect?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Wayne, I'm a real slow Typer and get interrupted. I had some NORS ones that I bought at a swap meet that were sold through JC whitney, probably in the 60's.They also came with thin steel shims that went on the stationary side of the thrust plates if you needed them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

An oldish spare parts book from Chaffins Garage (established 1973) lists 2 bronze thrusts, 1 spiral grooves and 1 with straight grooves.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration