Compressed air through radiator?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Compressed air through radiator?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

I'm cleaning out my cooling system, and I was wondering about the safety of blowing compressed air through the radiator. I know the T system is not pressurized, so before I break something I wanted to check here.

I made the tool for flushing the block, and I'm interested in flushing the radiator the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Michael
I've never heard of it being done before. Doesn't mean it won't work though. I've always used vinegar and then a good strong reverse water flush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Air by itself will not do very much. It might move some of the dust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

It depends on what you mean by through the radiator. I don't think I'd blow it through internally but blowing it through the fins would blow away dirt and debris that could restrict airflow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

Corey
I hadn't thought of external cleaning!! I suppose air or a good hose water wash would work well then

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

As I mentioned to Steve Jelf when I told him he wasn't using the water/air cleaning device he shows in one of his videos correctly: when flushing out the block with the tool the outlet needs to be restricted down to at least the diameter of the inlet hose being used. The reason being the block must be full of water for the air to scrub out the block. Just blowing air in with a fully open outlet just blows the water out so there should be come back pressure for it to be effective. "Scrubbing bubbles" I jokingly called it and Steve said he'd add a note to his video to correct the situation. There's no way I'd subject a T radiator to that kind of pressure. You'll end up blowing out a seam or tube and causing grief and costing $. There's plenty of non caustic/low impact chemical ways to effectively clean out a T radiator. Vinegar has been suggested here. These are a much better and safer approach to cleaning than air pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

I was thinking about filling it with water and forcing it out using compressed air. It looks pretty clean inside though, so I may just leave it be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Charlie, thanks for the response. When I flushed the block, I partially capped the outlet with my hand and then blew air through as I removed my hand from the outlet. I won't do the same to my radiator. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I used air to clean dirt and debris out of really nice radiator . The rodents must have thought it was a very nice one to. So much so they moved in and set up living room. I pulled grass out and used air to get small pieces and dirt out. Lucky it was dry. Never pressurized it just in one end and out other then flushed
No dirt came out

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration