Engine / Body Details

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Engine / Body Details
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

The engine number in my car is 10,573,451. I am quite confident that this is not the original engine for this car.

I've read a lot on the forum about where to find a body number. Nothing has led me to find anything. Although it does make me wonder a bit if the body is a hodgepodge of different years including modern.

One of the places to look for a number on later cars is where what appear to be a metal rail / structure that supports the floorboards. My body frame is all wood. Another place I've read is on parts of the seat risers. I've searched front and back with no hint whatsoever. What I will comment on is that the seating structures are metal. I wonder if these are poor modern replacement parts. I've attached a few photos. Any thoughts on what I have will be very much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

Could be it was built from parts. That doesn't make it any less a Model T. Drive it and enjoy it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Thanks Ted! And you are absolutely correct. My goal is for this car to be a driver. Getting it to drive is becoming a little bit of a headache - fun too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Charlie,
What year is your car reported to be? I realize you probably posted an overall photo in another thread, but on dial-up it takes too much time to search for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Inherited from my uncle (died unexpectedly so I had to make the best of some paperwork). He said it was a 1915 w/ a 1926 engine. In a storage locker I have what I think is the original engine. It's pretty deep in behind stuff so hard to get to and find the engine number.

I inherited a whole fleet of antique vehicles. Among them was another 1915 Model T - basically all original I think. I've since sold that one. I seem to recall that the engine numbers on that T and the engine I have in storage were fairly close. Just on either side of 1,000,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Charlie,
Well then, yes, I'd say from the pictures that various parts have been used ot assemble your body--at least the seat risers--or maybe just the front seat riser. '15s didn't come with a battery box under the rear floorboards either. Doesn't mean you can't have a fun car though! There are lots of little things to look at to determine a real '15--or in this case, if your original motor number is "around" 1,000,000, a '16 year model. If there's a number on your body, it would likely be on the passengers side floorboard riser--the angled up piece the floor boards set into. If that wood has been replaced (and looking at the other wood I see, that is likely) then the body number is lost. Oh well. . . .
BTW, I've yet to find a body number on my '16, and the seat riser wood looks original, but it's pretty worn, so. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

David,

I looked over the floorboard riser wood pretty closely and saw nothing. Might be evidence of your thought that it was replacement wood. I'll take an even closer look tomorrow and if nothing is there, I'll be forever curious without actually knowing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration