Coupe Body

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coupe Body
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Has anyone ever replaced any body mouldings on a 1922 coupe? Specifically the body belt moulding.
I removed mine to do rust removal and body work and it didn't come off cleanly. Is there a replacement for it somewhere?

Thanks Manny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

I did my '22 Coupe and had to reuse the molding because I could not find any available. It was a slow process to remove it, then I clipped all the nails off that attached it to the car, sanded it primed it and as I rebuilt the body I reattached it by predrilling tiny holes in the molding and re-nailing it with very small brads. If I remember correctly I had two pieces that broke as I took it off so I carefully butted them tight together and filled the small crack with spot putty. I used a small nail set and set the nail heads just below the surface then filled the small holes with spot putty re primed and painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

The body mouldings for T coupes and sedans at the present are not being reproduced as such. There are mouldings available from different industrial suppliers that are close in design but not quite.
One company that sells general purpose use molding is McMaster-Carr. There are probably others. You can alter it to get the correct shape.

I replaced some molding on my 1919 Roadster that was missing with some old trim pieces that I got off the remains of some old wagons that happened to be fairly close in shape. I used a file and bench grinder to get the right oval shape. You cant tell them from the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

http://restorationstuff.com/
Restoration Supply Co. has the right size half oval molding. That is what I used on my Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

thanks all,

Dennis i'll try your method, makes sense.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration