1926 Timer Wire Routing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 Timer Wire Routing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Hi all, I can't seem to find a good answer for this anywhere else so I'm bringing it to you guys. Is there a correct routing for the wires between the coil box and timer on my '26? I'm using the reproduction harness so in theory the wires are all about the right length and right now I have it going forward from the coil box, over its own mounting arm, under the coolant outlet in the head then down to the timer from above. As is, everything by the coil box looks all neat and tidy but down by the timer the wires just look like a plate of spaghetti.

I think they won't interfere with anything but the job I did just looks awful. Can this be routed a little better?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

I'll post a picture of mine tomorrow. I made a nice little clamp from a scrap of flat aluminum that holds the loom in place. Nice dog in your truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 06:55 am:

My '26 is routed as yours, but I have a clamp round the loom on the left water outlet bolt. You don't want the bottom end of the loom fixed as it has to move with the timer rotation.
The bound part of my loom comes close to the oil filler, then 2 wires go back left over the top, and 2 go down and under on the right side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Here's the 26-27 wiring layout. It's large on purpose. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Sounds like I had it close and getting it the rest of the way ought to be easy enough. I'll grab a little hunk of aluminum out of the scrap bin at work tomorrow and make up the little clamp.

Thanks guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Factory wire clips are #T-7688 and are used in 3 places on the wiring diagram for the timer harness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Does anyone sell the T-7688 clips? I need one for my water outlet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Lang's offers its #5033 wire retainer clip, it has big enough hole to fit the water outlet bolt.
$1.25.

IMG_1752 (1024x791) (640x494).jpg
Upper clip is original, lower clip is Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Those T-7688 clips would be just the ticket except my car is no Stynoski contestant. I just want the car to be serviceable to have fun in and learn the ins and outs of a ninety year old car.

You know, so I'm ready for my second one...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Well, I got the top end tidied up with a little clip:

The bottom end is still a mess:

I'm having a hard time picturing what I've got getting much better than that. Do I just tuck it in as best I can and live with it or is there something I'm still not doing right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Tim, the clip looks great and the wires are fine. Now you just need to put a couple thousand miles on the old girl so those wires aren't so darn clean! Every time you pull that timer off to service it, you'll see another way to make it better. Well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:24 am:

You're missing the fiber shield that goes over the top timer contacts.

Regards,
Garnet

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration