Where to mount the spare?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Where to mount the spare?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 05:11 am:

Where would a spare demountable rim and tire be carried on my 1919 roadster? Would like to see photos if anyone has one. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William P Schubert....Bay City, Michigan on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 05:50 am:

I installed mine on the left side running board.1920 Runabout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:16 am:

I have Hayes wire wheels on my '17 that use standard Ford demountable rims. As such my spare rides in the standard Ford demountable rim carrier used from 1919 - 25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 08:24 am:

I think it's more attractive on the rear and also gives a great place to mount an accessory brake light. It seems a little crowded on the side of a roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Royce I have a 1919 Roadster that I restored years ago and at that time I had heard or thought that Ford used a tire carrier that was unique in that it was a full circle tire carrier. I used a standard tire carrier that's seems to be the most common for the open cars. I think the circle carriers are not easy to find and were used for only a year or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Same question for 3-Door Touring? I've been thinking that a spare would be a nice addition and there's something nice about both side and rear. What would be the most appropriate? By the way - leaning towards rear for the brake light although my car is currently fitted with the lantern style brake light lower left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Monday, October 10, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Where is the best place to find the rear mount and a spare tire on rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 12:38 am:

Jonathan, this is the proper spare tire carrier for your 1919 roadster. We would need to see some close-up photos of your wheels to determine which spare rim would match yours. Do your 4 rims match now?

If you are not concerned about the carrier being exactly right for 1919, you could use a later carrier like Royce's. Here are some examples.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 12:56 am:

The lower black carrier with the paper tag I believe is for about 1921-23 models.
The upper black carrier I believe is for 1924 and possibly early 1925 models with 30X3-1/2 tires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Thanks Jim for updating us on the tire carriers. The carrier on my car is the upper one. I was thinking that there was a circle carrier when I was looking for one years ago. Not real common like the others you show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

The outside of the tires is 31". The outside of the rim seems to be 24". All wheels and tires are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Jonathan,
If you want to find a matching rim for a spare tire, we need more information. There were a few companies that supplied wheels for Model T Fords, and they are not all interchangeable. Some rims have "lugs" attached to the rim, and some rims have "loose lugs". If your 1919 has it's original wheels, they are likely Kelsey with loose lugs. Photos of one of your wheels would make this much easier. If you go to the MTFCA homepage, "click" on the Encyclopedia. Then go to the parts section and read about "wheels". It will help you understand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 12:51 am:

Thanks, I'll get a photo this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 07:14 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, October 14, 2016 - 07:16 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Jim, What kind of wheels are thy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Looks to my like you have Hayes wheels with a mix of the older, "squared off" shape rim lugs and the later "somewhat tapered" rim lugs. Pretty common rim types and they interchange fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration